Work is slow....

My daughter? No, she's right into dancing so far and not much use for sports besides track and field.

I only have the one child.

I can just barely get a base ball past my knees with me left hand.

I have equal dexterity and with both hands though. Some of the mechanics I have worked with could only support objects with their left hand. I could work by feel equally as well with both hands.

Maybe most people have equal dexterity. I am otherwise totally unremarkable!

Can anyone throw a foot ball with either hand?

No, less than 1% of people show any ambidexterity, and even then it is limited. If you are fully ambidextrous, that is unusual. Like Cory mentioned, a lot of it has to do with muscle memory. I can do most any task with either hand, but didn't start writing lefty until about 7 years ago. Without developing the muscle memory, it was ugly at first, but got better after I had been doing it for a little while. Considering that my writing was almost illegible until I started my own business at 23 and forced myself to improve, I'm surprised I can write at all with either hand. ( which would be ambisinistrous) With a little practice I can now write forwards, backwards, or upside down with either hand. Being ambidextrous is really handy when wrenching on things.

:lol:

I have worked with some people that would have to shift their position to be able to use their right hand and only use the left hand to support.

I used to take an oil pan on a NTC Cummins in a tractor and balance it on my shoulders, that way I could just straighten out my legs to raise the pan to the block. I would have two bolts in each hand so that when the pan was up I could start four bolts. I could do it faster with out help.

"Faster without help" Reminds me of a story a friend told me. He was at a millwork shop picking up some wood. He was waiting in the retail part of the building, and in the back there was a set of double doors. He said a really big guy came through those doors back first carrying a huge piece of furniture. He offered to help but the guy said, no thanks, it's hard enough by myself.:lol:

:lol:

I have worked with some people that would have to shift their position to be able to use their right hand and only use the left hand to support.

I used to take an oil pan on a NTC Cummins in a tractor and balance it on my shoulders, that way I could just straighten out my legs to raise the pan to the block. I would have two bolts in each hand so that when the pan was up I could start four bolts. I could do it faster with out help.

Jim, you are truly gifted, mechanically speaking. No kidding. There are some people in this world who make very difficult tasks look easy, and from the stories you tell, I believe you are one of them. It is a real pleasure and privilege to work around such folks.

Tim

Funny story Dave. I know what he meant though, sometimes it's easier without someone's "help"

I'm not totally ambidextrous, I write left handed but do some things right handed. Axe and rifle, right handed but just about everything else whichever hand is available.

Back