Wood Turning

I think it sort of depends, Jim, whether you have to then go sell those things that you make for a living. Definite plus and minus to that. As a hobby and form of recreation, it must be beneficial, based on what some serious amateurs tell me. By amateurs I mean no disrespect either, some do phenomenal things. Lots of physicians in the states are amateur woodworkers, is what I have heard, a good stress reliever to the effects of their regular job. That they are eliminating shop classes out of public school now really sucks, imo. Consequently, many more will never know the enjoyment of making things with their hands., or be able to think back of that aspect of their experience in school. Plus it is fun to remember some of the shop teachers. Mr. Benson was very cool. :lol: I can easily remember him but forgot who my math teachers were.

If I had to sell the things I create I would be peckered. I actually have a hard time selling cows and calves, it always bugs me a little bit in the spring when the calves are playing and chasing each other. I know that they are going to be food, and it makes me kinda sad.

I would become too attached to some of the wonderful things that I have seen on this site.

Excellent job on them! Just scored a shops smith with most of the accessories, hope to do some in the heat of summer in the ac of the shop. Need to source a good set of the chisels and gouges. Seems a good flea market item for good ones.

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Joel, if you keep an eye on the woodworking supply sites, often turning tool sets go on sale. They last a long time, it might save time to pick up a set with sizes that you will need, rather than be on the hunt. Probably not so costly.

I hit the Waldo flea market Sunday and got a good deal on a set from craftsman made in the early 70s real good shape gave 55 dollars for the set of 6 :)

Hey! Anyone interested in a Sorby 3/4 inch roughing gouge? I don't do spindle work, and thought it was the right tool for the job to rough out my bowl blanks. Have since found that it is not the right tool and it is dangerous. Lots to learn. But not I have this nice tool and no real use for it. I'll sell it for a discount!

Back