Wood stove heat

I burn Douglas fir for the most part. I have a modern high efficiency natural gas forced air furnace in my home(two years old) and I agree it's a nice backup for the wood and nice in the shoulder seasons. But I heat pretty well 24/7 with wood. I've been having a fire every night, I love it. The wood heat is far more satisfying to me then the forced air natural gas.

For me it's like a hobby too. I get a real kick out of burning my new stove. I revel in the efficiency of it when I've got it performing just right. I accomplish this through three thermometers. Two on the stove pipe and one on the stove top. I'd like to get a second stove top one so I could verify and read side to side. My one thermometer remotes to a readout upstairs so I can monitor my basement stove from the top floor. I could/can run a stove well with no help, and have my whole life. But once I went to thermometers? There's no arguing with science.

Hey Squish, I spent my 20's team roping. Never got good enough to make any significant money at it. I take it you're heading? I started off heeling and then switched to heading after a few years. My first horse was a better heeling horse and my second one was a better head horse. It's pretty fun. Kind of a high maintenance hobby though. I won $800 at a roping one time. Roped at some brandings too. One branding we were heeling the calves in a lane and then dragging them backwards through a gate and into the corral. Where a guy on the ground would tail them down and hand put on a rope on their front legs from another mounted cowboy and stretch them out so there was no choking of the calf. Anyway heeling them in the lane was a bitch because those little buggars are fast. My buddy's Dad won the average at the National Finals in 1962 so he was our teacher.

That's super cool Steve. Yah it's a bit of a committed sport. Like either you're in or you're out. Pretty hard to stay sharp or keep a horse good at it if you're not riding basically daily. I'm super lucky in that my yellow horse is about as good as they come. Dead reliable and forgiving in the arena/ropings. $800 grade quarter horse that I see doing a lot better job then horses 10-20 times his price tag. And he's got the go, not often he'll get beat and if he does it's honestly usually my fault.

I'm having a ton of fun with it.

Honestly I do at times, I think I always will. But I'm enjoying the chimneys. Less stress overall, more family and riding time.

Hanging out here keeps it in perspective for me. Lol.

Embrace the branding young grasshopper..............................

Sure, you might want to get good at one position, doesnt mean you cant practice some others;)

I hear ya Jim. I would be more eager to learn the heel end too but the truth is its been a real struggle for me to learn to swing right handed so I've just focused on the heading. If I knew someone who was looking for help with their branding I'd love to lend a hand.

Ha! Forgive me if I don't jump at that offer Stephen. ;)

Heh Paul. How's your summit working out for yah? Have you burned it yet?

Squish we still haven't got the stove yet. Hoping Im not getting screwed as we bought it online but they are telling us as we got the white enamel it is special order so will take another couple of weeks......

Cool. That white enamel is sharp, I just was looking at some pictures of one the other day. Make sure to let us know when it's up and running.

Paul. You get that beauty installed yet?

I've been cleaning chimneys like mad. And been liking the PE's so much I picked up one of their inserts to install into my open masonry fireplace. I got it out of the classifieds for cheap and am going through it, repainting it, and then I'll install it. A serious upgrade over a open masonry fireplace for 4bills Canadian. Even came with the liner too.

It matches my PE summit in the basement and now combined I'll have crazy wood heating capacity!
IMG_1087.jpg

I see by the catalogs my friend likes to bring me that there are about a million stoves on the market these days. I don't know if the European ones are much marketed in the states and Canada, but those companies are really cooking on new designs, maybe the functionality as well. From ultra fancy to understated designs to what looks like it hasn't changed in fifty years. Many of the European designs are really aimed at accenting an interior with colors and glass and outside treatments, et., not just saying I'm black and I get hot.

Many stoves in North America are like that too. I prefer simple and black. And trust me the functionality of this insert is top notch. Efficient, durable and simple to service. I'll post some pics after I finish with it. Tonight I dismantled and sanded it up for fresh paint. I'm going to get rid of the brass/gold and go straight black.

Back