wood chips as fire starter material

I think that wadded up dry wood shavings are my favorite for a fire starter. I think my old shop cat could tell about that too, once having unbeknown to me climbed in behind the savings before I lit them and shut the door. It's a long stove made from a tank. I had to knock down the chimney pipe for him to get out, he had already somehow managed to crawl part way up in his attempt to escape. Survived with burnt whiskers and feet. It was quite an episode. It seemed to have freaked him out for a number of days as well.

Prety much newspaper and kindling here as well. The WD40 seems like a good tip when starting is stubborn. I don't like messing around in the morning when it's cold, I need fire.

I'm thinking about grabbing a box of those fire starter 'cubes' like Wal-mart sells for my wife to use while I'm one-handed. I was checking the price online seems quite reasonable if they'll get a fire going without kindling. Pine mountain is the brand I think, anyone here use them ever?

How do you guys melt the wax to pour on this stuff? Seems like a lot of work would be involved?

I heated an old POS pot until nice and hot, but not over done, and had a pot of boiling water. Dropped the wax in the hot pot off the heat, on and off the heat till melted and then over the boiling water to keep melted, kind of like a double boiler but with direct heat for the melt.
It is a good bit of work but not really. I roll up the lint off the dryer vent and just dip an end or soak'em.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
4663c59cd787adefc3552a4842eb58cc.jpg
home depot. I break off a chunk about 1-1.5 inches on a side. Put a bit of small western red cedar, alder, Doug-fir on, and walk away.

I converted to fire starters when I was getting up at 5-530a for State Parks.

That box will last a while. Depends on if it's a fire started daily or every couple days. It's packed solid. A full brick, maybe 25 per box, would start a fire with just big splits, I think, or a bit under seasoned.

When it's freezing outside nothing beats wood heat. Less and less people seem to burn, just turn the dial instead and pay through the nose for a half a heat. My house is roasty all winter, underwear weather inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When it's freezing outside nothing beats wood heat. Less and less people seem to burn, just turn the dial instead and pay through the nose for a half a heat. My house is roasty all winter, underwear weather inside.

After a cold wet day, a bit of sweating is nice.

Those fire bricks work a charm. I even keep some in the truck to start burn piles with. One little cube broke off the brick sometimes 2. I keep a box at home for Kat and the kids to start the wood stove with. The ons I get come prescored so you can break off a small rectangle.

Good thread!

The sawdust or chips mixed with diesel, any danger of spontaneous combustion or something like that when the material is stored for awhile? And you can throw the material on the firewood, rather than under it??

It is perfectly safe.
Spontaneous combustion onlym occurs with those oil types that oxidates heavily, like linseed oil.
And that won't even do it if kept under a lid.

My furnace burns from the top down, blows the gases through a hole in the bottom and adds air for a second combustion.

4663c59cd787adefc3552a4842eb58cc.jpg
home depot. I break off a chunk about 1-1.5 inches on a side. Put a bit of small western red cedar, alder, Doug-fir on, and walk away.

I converted to fire starters when I was getting up at 5-530a for State Parks.

That box will last a while. Depends on if it's a fire started daily or every couple days. It's packed solid. A full brick, maybe 25 per box, would start a fire with just big splits, I think, or a bit under seasoned.

I picked up a couple boxes of this today. I went to Home Depot and got the run around, after being asked if I needed help finding anything, I explain what I'm looking for and get told that they don't carry such a product. This after checking their store inventory on-line before going. Upon telling the 'helper' this their reply was that the interwebs was wrong they don't carry it. FFS. Frustrated I just gave up and went and got it at Wally World.

Back