Wood Boiler with Oil Backup

In order to keep the tending of the boiler to a minimum, you need a buffer tank to heat.
I run my setup with a 1500 liter buffer tank and once that is warm, it'll last us a day.

Yes it does.
It has been made a requirement on newly installed setups here.
for that reason.

Mine is se to burn full tilt untill it runs out of fuel, which a skilled operator can time to coincide with the buffer tank being hot all the way to the bottom. ( It layers the heat, so it heats from the top down and uses heat from the bottom up)

Have you thought about a woodchip burner Brendon?
zestaw_azsb_30kW_ceramiczna_wi.jpg

do they have to be "dry" wood chip? Seems like it would be a pita to store dry chips.

do they have to be "dry" wood chip? Seems like it would be a pita to store dry chips.

Yes, and No. depends on what you want to burn John. if you have dry sawmill chips, then you get a cast iron burner head. If you want to burn fresh chips, then you get the one in the picture. It has a ceramic burn pot that sits in-between the store and the boiler. This stays very hot, and so the chips dry as they are augered into the chamber. Its less efficient, but what treeman is going to run out of chips?
I like it because its automated like LPG or oil, but burns free chips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the response.

I'm kinda in between a rock and a hard place here. I surely can't dish out 10K for a burner right now. Those out door ones are the tits, but I'm not sure how long I'll be at the new house so having one off the bat isn't really a good choice. Plus I won't be working until March/April ish full time, so I need my reserved funds to do the rehab to the house, and pay for the mortgage.

The option right now is spend $2500 for the oil burner only, and burn wood like I planned up stairs for heat. The layout I'm doing to the house is going to work great for this option.

I'm still waiting on this heating guy to stop buy and give me info prices on the dual fuel for the house. How much more expensive those are going to be will decide the situation. 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k. Who knows. I know it'll pay off in the long run but still undecided how long I'll be there.

On the other hand, it might be more desirable for the next buyer who may not be familiar with burning wood chips and unwilling to change. Idunno, we don't have those issues here. I spent an hour laying out in the sun today in my back yard. On the 15th of January. :P

They go through a lot of wood as compaired to a stove ,cost a lot too .However the heat is even,you can heat your water and the mess is outside rather than in .

Kevin and I went to a GTG in southern Indiana where the guy revamped an oil fired boiler to also burn wood .I can't remember his name though .The boiler was in his basement .

Years ago my dads cousin,my second cous had what was called a "log wood " furnace .It would take a 5 foot piece of wood but it also was fired on oil .Simple,just load it up and hit the thermostat .The oil would fire up the wood and not come on again until the wood fire burned out .Never really if you kept it stoked .Oil was about 50-60 cents a gallon then and he used 9 dollars worth the first year he had it .

This is the only forum I've been around where we can critique spelling and grammar without anybody going home crying.;)

Back