Windfirming

• Thread starter Gord
  • Start date
  • Replies 27
  • Views 8K
G

Gord

We've been getting a few of these windfirming contracts lately, and as it's not a common thing outside the PNW I thought I post about it. The job is to go along the edge of a logging cutblock and within a strip of specified width (usually 10-15m) thinning or topping each overstorey tree to reduce the likelihood of windthrow. It's also commonly done with a saw on a helicopter longline, depending on the trees and location, the cost of climbers vs helicopters varies. Climbers can do a much more thorough job of a strip compared to a helicopter. In most places it's possible to pendulum from tree to tree with a grappling hook (aka claw), reducing the amount of vertical climbing. It's common to do 7 or 8 hundred vertical (up) feet a day. All climbing is done with spurs.

Some photos:

8X0Tb.jpg

The middle ten or so trees have been 'firmed', some thinned some topped. The thinning is drastic and concentrated on the upper canopy. It's not for aesthetics! I measured the tree right of center 191'.

2KotR.jpg

Excellent practice for new climbers...start them small. It is actually great experience for newer climbers, many locations have plenty of smaller trees.

csxkM.jpg

Using a claw to transfer.

hGY5O.jpg

QAhF7.jpg

The grappling hook I use.

38aLh.jpg

At this point the full weight of the climber is on the claw line and if your 'set' fails it's a very nasty swing back to the starting tree. It's often tempting to use a less than ideal set (or one you can't really see) but gravity's a poor sparring partner.

Szdst.jpg

Some of the locations are worth a photo.

A video:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5EU5a99uhP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Real nice pics Gord. We used to do it in big Sitka and Douglas blocks nearby for the university studies. Not as big as that though, more usually 130' or so.

What a beauteous place to work, can't imagine a helicopter doing near as good. Job as a exp climber.
Great video, rarely worked conifers that high to be comfortable with the high TIPs. I'd be A puckerin on those traverse's sweatin that side load on your tip. I must be a pussy, like V said real tree work you got going there! Thanks for pics and story never heard of windfirming in MN residential tree work -makes perfect sense and what a work out!

That would be fun to do for a couple of weeks in the winter. How many guys do you have working one location? That would be stressfull to have a 20 man crew running around with spur saw. Cool pictures and video.

Cool Gord. I remember hearing about it being done around blocks when I was on the coast but I never did it or saw anyone doing it. Crazy job man!

Nice Gord. I was also curious as to the purpose of the rubber ball on your grappling hook.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The ball helps to move the claw around, flipping it back over limbs that you don't want it over. It will often help it pivot around a V in a limb rather than just snag in it. Usually we have 2 or 3 climbers working at a time, often with a groundman to help out. It can be fun and relaxing work or not at all pleasant. Rarely do more than a 7 hour day, it's just go go go with really no downtime.

Man that looks cool, I'd love to do that.I gotta ask, how long does it usually take to climb up there and tie in?

As always, awesome pictures and video. Must've been wild when that big gust of wind came up.

Awesome thread Gord.
Have you ever worked with Erickson Air Crane? They just finished 4 days here in The Pas Manitoba putting up transmission towers for Manitoba Hydro. On their best day they raised 43 towers, at $15,000 an hour! I had a small part in the project with a corridor widening contract.
I never got a picture of their S 64 chopper but it did fly over my house and it sounded like a locomotive.

Willard.

Some of the locations are worth a photo.
You're not kidding. That's amazing landscape.

Took me a while to get the time to download the vid, Gord...ace work as usual. Isn't it fun showering yourself with snow taking off branches and tops in those conditions? :|:

I like your hook better than mine...mine doesn't fold. I'll have to get a pic to share. Where did you acquire yours?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Burnham this is my grapple. I removed the part that hold the tines in or out. I hate climbing in the snow, thankfully it doesn't happen much around here. :)

Back