why DRT for newbs when there is the HH setup?

beochie

TreeHouser
I'm looking into getting into climbing and I'm planning I'm making a pretty decent order from tree stuff today. After adding it all up I cant figure out why DRT? I'm looking to get up and down a rope easy, fast,and ..cheap in that order (I'm sure everyone is). After adding it up I can figure out why DRT?

DRt hitch climber-
50-hitch climber pully
20 carabiner to tail
20-carabiner harness to hitch climber
25-looped end on main line

$115

SRT rope wrench

125-RR w/tether
20-carabiner of hich climber 50
20-pully
20-hitch

$185 or $235

or what I think I'm going to go with
SRT Hitch Hiker
-160 HH

There's more to it than that. SRT requires more gear. There are some good threads on this site detailing the process.

...I'm looking to get up and down a rope easy, fast,and ..cheap in that order (I'm sure everyone is)...

I would add 'safely while I learn' to that list.

FWIW...I went straight to SRT to learn climbing this past spring. I have now gone back and am currently learning DdRT because it is very useful to help move around once I'm in the tree.

If you are only going to climb a rope to access a tree stand 15'-20' up, I think you can simply use a rope (no eye splice), biner and friction saver for DdRT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rvG4pSNpX8&feature=youtu.be

You can foot lock instead of using the foot ascender shown in the video.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
for sure "safely while I learn" is #1. I figure I'd buy ascenders with either system so why not just jump to a SRT HH. Seems to be the cheapest and easiest rout

I love the HH and working a tree from it in an SRT style and would not go back to climbing DdRT. But I think you are confusing what is a good system for a professional arborist with what you actually need for just getting into a tree with a rope.

All you need is a rope. Easy to carry and quiet. When you get to your tree you tie a throwing knot and toss it over a stout limb that is above where you want to be. Work the knotted end back down and in its place tie a triple loop bowline leaving a 4 foot tail. Step into the bowline and with the tail tie a prusik or similar hitch onto the other end of the rope. You now have a fully functional and safe DdRT system that will work fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the help guys. I seem to be at it again. for some reason my thought process is constantly...a little "better" only cost a few more bucks....well if I'm going to send that much money I might as well go balls out and get what I really want. That's why I'm trying this on my $1500 gaming PC i hardly play games on lol. I'm off to by a rope and a carabeaner

Get the Hitch Hiker. Srt is the way everyone will be climbing in like... five years. Ddrt is great for going down, but really inefficient for going up. Guess which one is harder.

FWIW I don't have a spliced eye on my climbline . I will get a picture but I just put the end of the rope through the ring on my bridge and tie a stopper knot for when Im working DDrt. Works great for me.

Back