Whizzy

Looks good...now what about the back cut and the fall? Are you posting that, too? I'd like to watch the hinge as it closes.

will get to that.............using the helmet cam didn't give a good view of the undercut closing, just the tree coming down, but there is a good view of the wedging sequence. maybe later this eve I will edit it up and get it posted.

Nice to see the Whizzy on video.
Did you gut the hinge?
If not, would you do me a favour and gut the next one, then tell me if it feels to you like it makes a difference.

I have been employing a theory for years ( actually by now, I have got to the point where I hold it to be self evident, so call it an axiom:)) that by gutting the hinge and thereby turning it into to separate parts, you allow those part to work better, since they don't have to fight the piece that connects them.

Try it, and let me know what you think.

The types of trees you and I fall are wastly different, but I bet some of the common denominators hold true, even on the flip side of the planet.

Nice to see the Whizzy on video.
Did you gut the hinge?
If not, would you do me a favour and gut the next one, then tell me if it feels to you like it makes a difference.

I have been employing a theory for years ( actually by now, I have got to the point where I hold it to be self evident, so call it an axiom:)) that by gutting the hinge and thereby turning it into to separate parts, you allow those part to work better, since they don't have to fight the piece that connects them.
Give me engineering data on the measurable forces involved, and I'll accept it as a theory. Till then its a hypothesis ;):D

Give me engineering data on the measurable forces involved, and I'll accept it as a theory. Till then its a hypothesis ;):D

Frig it!

Here I was trying to be cute, with the axiom thing, and you shoot me right out of the sky!

Lesson learned, don't try to be cute in any other language but the one you were born into:lol:

English and hypothesis, Stig. From all I can see--not much experientially--you're dead on with the "gut the hinge thing."

Sierratree: Thanks lots for posting the vid. You've got computer skills to match your saw skills. Nice looking hinge btw.

reply to stig: i think gutting the hinge would depend on the strength of the wood fibers. A Doug Fir might require it, where a softer wood such as a pine, might not. also, i think it would depend on how much you would need the pull to reach out of the lean. maybe better to leave a narrow hinge all the way accross, rather than removing the integrity of the hinge which would keep it from heading in the direction God intended it to go. also important to keep the compression side of the backcut tight with a wedge or 2, as well as placing a tight wedge directly behind the new direction for some extra convincing.

I got a larger than normal effect from a whizzy/block undercut on friday.

Had a fair size beech standing at the edge of a forest with a lot of weight and side P1010287.JPG P1010286.JPG P1010285.JPG lean towards the field outside the forest+a bit of back lean to the only place I could drop it.

After venting some steam by bitching about stupid foresters who mark up trees that can't be felled without pulling them, I decided that no-one loves a coward, and felled it anyway.

I set the whizzy on the side opposing the side lean and used the block cut out of that as a step dutchman in the other side.
On that side of the tree I cut the backcut level with the bottom of the face, so the stump shot wouldn't keep the tree from rotating when the step dutchman set in.

That is about the fanciest felling I've done in a looooong time.

The effect was amazing. I had to carefully wedge the tree over, but when gravity set in the whole tree spun a full rotation lengthwise as the dutchman popped it loose in that side while the hinge in the other side held so good that it actually tore into the roots.

You can see the tree on the ground about 10 feet to the side of where it started.

Last tree before heading home for the weekend, it was sure a good outcome to end the week on:)

That's pretty awesome, Stig. Good pictures, especially the middle one. I can't quite tell from the pics though, did you also ream out the center of the hinge to separate the tension from the compression wood?

Now, for the ultimate test: same scenario but there is a house under the side/back lean, would you do it again? Probably not, wouldn't be worth the risk or time savings when you could just put in a pull rope, but, as MB would say, whutta rush it would be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This was done by professionals on a closed course, don't try this near home kids

I bored the center of the hinge, yes.
I always do, when employing a whizzy.
NO WAY I'd pull that one off near a house. I walked around this tree for 5 minutes before deciding that I could fell it.
Worst case scenario on this one was a lot of clean-up from the field and a major embarrasment for me.

If There had been a skiddder nearby, I would have shot a line into it and pulled it.

Thanks, Burnham,.
Coming from you, that means a lot.

I forgot to mention that I made the stump about 4" higher than i normally would, in order to have straight fibers for my hinge.
Just thought I'd mention that before someone accuses me of having spent too much time in the PNW;)

Awesome.. I would have liked to have witnessed that one from start to finish. Makes you feel like you are glowing when something like that comes together. :thumbup:

Well, at least as close as I can relate in felling terms ;) That one there would be beyond my skills.

Wow
what a heart pumping fell !
You have to really trust the hinge capability of the wood. I suppose you just wouldn't try that with poplar or alder.

Beech is one of the most consistent grained woods that I know of. Also excellent flexibility, and I would imagine that wet Beech is particularly so. Can't discount the trees help in allowing Stig's brilliance. :D

Part of being succesful at stunts like that is to know the fiber strength of all the different species one gets to fall.
Takes a while to accumulate that knowledge.

I attempted a whizzy today and found out that if you make too big a face and the tree gains too much momentum it will blow right through and fall to the lay. Of course it had been rather cold and it was a sub alpine fir(not stellar hinge wood). I gunned it between the corner of a house to be removed and a large outdoor, stone fire pit. With less than a foot on either side for clearance it landed right but it would have been easier to clean if it had hooked the corner of the house and fell closer to the chipper.

Back