Whats blooming?

Red clover's starting to bloom...

IMG_20240525_192927415.jpg

Not very exciting, and it's a screwup. I mistook red clover for crimson clover and planted the wrong thing. The crimson clover I planted is AWOL. I'll try again this fall, and hopefully get something. Patches of crimson clover are very striking.

Red clover's starting to bloom...

View attachment 138953

Not very exciting, and it's a screwup. I mistook red clover for crimson clover and planted the wrong thing. The crimson clover I planted is AWOL. I'll try again this fall, and hopefully get something. Patches of crimson clover are very striking.
Yeah, red clover was named by colorblind people. I think it's biennial, so you must have planted it last year? I think the flowers are edible depending on if it's medium red or giant red, or maybe both are edible.

Yea, I think I planted it in the spring. I haven't tried these exact flowers, but if you pull the petals out and nibble them, they taste sweet. I think I mentioned it before.

The crimson clover I planted in the fall anticipating spring bloom, but it doesn't look like that happened. I'll try again this fall. The bulk of the seed I've laid down has been Dutch white. I want a carpet of it, but that isn't really what I've gotten so far. I'll keep putting down seed, and it should get better over time.

They can be fragile when small, so avoid mowing or walking in the yard as much as possible after seeding. They should sprout very quickly, so give them at least a month or 2 before mowing, and 2-4 weeks in between. Crimson, an annual blooms once. If you mow during the bloom, it's done.

That's pretty much what I've done. I put the crimson clover on the back hill I let grow up. Stuff's 2'+ tall now, but I'll likely mow that this week. The fleabane's stopped blooming, and I'm not see much else of interest. I keep hoping the white clover I planted will bloom, but I've seen nothing yet. I need to keep that area under more control cause it's more visible to the neighbors. I always push mowing forward as long as I can. Every day I get goes towards reducing the total number of mowings per season.

Back