What Would You Do?

chris_girard

Treehouser
Found this vid from arborist Blair Glenn in CA and I know how I would remove it. If we couldn't get a big enough crane, than I would rig it with the GRCS and Hobbs Lowering Device, taking them tight right below each cable, before cutting the cables and using multiple block rigging throughout the tree.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IK1-zle60e4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Col vid, Chris. Quite a puzzle that you put up there. What do you mean about a big enough crane? Do you mean that access is restricted so only a long reach with enough weight capacity would work, or budget, or....?

This one would be interesting to follow up on in the future. Would be cool to know who eventually accepts the challenge and how the job went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nasty. I think I'd price a new deck into it.

My thinking, too.
I do stuff like that sometimes, give a client two prices, one if I avoid the obstacle a way cheaper one if they either remove the obstacle or replace it at own cost.
You'd be amazed how many scrubs and small trees that suddenly weren't very important to save.
Even got to smash ht eshit out of a firewood shed, once. Wish I'd filmed that.

Grcs x2 for tensioning with some static line. Lots of blocks & general rigging kit. Some great ground staff, a top rate climber & a five star tree general to run the job.
I think a crane would potentially be a greater danger unless it could lift the entire rotted stem in one

Does seem to be a challenge. A big ass helicopter would be cool.
Lots of guy lines and rigging. And what to do with that monstrous wood? Just a headache trying to figure what you would need and what to have on site to add to the rigging. I couldn't say with out seeing it in person if I'd walk away from it. I've walked once and that was in my early years. I knew I didn't have the experience to do it. That's definitely a tree to take a while to think on before giving a bid.

Some you just have to walk away from.
Any way it goes, it's going to be REAL expensive!

Certainly a tricky job. Hard to imagine a custy will be willing to pay what it is worth, unless it is within reach of a crane big enough to take giant picks.

Well to get the whole job done in one day, maybe under $20k, that would probably be a fair deal for the custy and the treeguy, ifffff the custy would pony up that much.

Back