What should I do?

Where Steve is at in the valley, there are restrictions on burning fire wood as I recall... However, just up from Steve to the east are the Sierras (where I live) and we heat with wood up here non restrictive on heating with it. In the valley you have burn days based on air quality as I recall. Air quality only effects us mountain folk on burn days for burning brush. I understand the magic number will be about the 3000 foot level when they get more restrictions. I know in some places of lower elevations, you can't even get a new house with a fire place, been ruled out.

I would think the opposite, to a point. 3 6' diameter 18" chunks would be a cord (128 cu ft before air space)and change of firewood. 10 3' diameter 18" chunks is also a cord. Conversely you'd need 109 1' diameter chunks.

Having a mini to help, certainly, but that seems easy way to make firewood if you have the machinery. Get it quartered and you're good to go all lick-a-d-split like with an easier time hauling it to the yard.

It depends on what a person considers big regarding the log and firewood . I already had a pic on here of the 3 feet rounds I've been busting .Fact is most of that 7-8 cords we did yesterday was about the same stuff .

Old as I am I can still roll a three footer around ,a 4 would be a tad too much .Besides that a 4 footer would be rare in these parts but a 3-31/2 is common on an oak . I'd much rather wrestle around a few 3 footers as compaired to a whole bunch of 12 inch stuff .

Wrestling big wood, even with all of the hydraulic toys to make it easier on the back, is far more time consuming than blasting through small diameter logs. Nothing sucks more than resplitting and resplitting and resplitting. Been there, done that.

I'd agree with Dave though. It looks worth knocking down with a big ass Alaskan set-up and then quartersawing on the woodmizer. Quartersawn white oak is some nice stuff to woodwork with.

lucas mill

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KuxVre4WJeU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KuxVre4WJeU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've seen the swing mills in operation ,neat machines .However they still can't slab through a big log . Like for a table slab or something of that nature .

I'm afraid it's going to take a chainsaw for that . Let's face it no commercial mill will touch that log .It could be a nail or even a horseshoe in it . What ever they don't want to find out .

I've seen the swing mills in operation ,neat machines .However they still can't slab through a big log . Like for a table slab or something of that nature .

I'm afraid it's going to take a chainsaw for that . Let's face it no commercial mill will touch that log .It could be a nail or even a horseshoe in it . What ever they don't want to find out .

Here they use metal detectors to determine the location of the metal and mill around it still making good money on the log since they deduct the money from the log with any metal from the pay for the load.

I've seen video of people quartering really big logs like that by packing a couple well placed bore cuts with black powder. BANG!! :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've seen video of people quartering really big logs like that by packing a couple well placed bore cuts with black powder. BANG!! :D

don't tempt me.....

I am suprised burning wood isn't illegal in Cal. Don't they ban it in some places out there?

Cursed is right. In the winter time we sometimes have real stagnant, foggy weather and the air quality can get pretty bad. You have a website you can check and it is in the newspapers and on the radio weather it is a burn day, restricted burn day, or a no burn day. On the restricted burn days the new catalytic converter equipped stoves are OK to use and everything else is not supposed to burn. It is all through the San Joaquin Air Pollution Control Board. If it is a no burn day then no one can burn unless the wood burning device is your only source of heat. Last year we had 3 no burn days and 6 restricted days.

I think that area of Cal is just one of a kind type thing with the mountain ranges ,ocean currents and weather patterns .

A person such as myself pictures the state as big trees to the north and beachs full of lovilies to the south .I often forget about the vast farm lands and vineyards . My wifes cousin lives in Stockton and she kind of enlightened me the last we spoke . Too much for my little midwestern pea mind to comprehend forgetting that the state covers a majority of the west coast .

I think that area of Cal is just one of a kind type thing with the mountain ranges ,ocean currents and weather patterns .

A person such as myself pictures the state as big trees to the north and beachs full of lovilies to the south .I often forget about the vast farm lands and vineyards . My wifes cousin lives in Stockton and she kind of enlightened me the last we spoke . Too much for my little midwestern pea mind to comprehend forgetting that the state covers a majority of the west coast .

I envision the US as being treeless between New York State and the Rockies. All of the south is a swamp. It's easy to generalize Al.:)

People usually think of Oregon as a wet place...but 2/3 of the state, and it's a big one, is high desert.

People usually think of Oregon as a wet place...but 2/3 of the state, and it's a big one, is high desert.
I just heard that recently myself .

They also visulize Ohio as being flat like a pancake such as the area I live in .Cornfields and milk cows .Southern and eastern Ohio is hilly ,like W Va ,with tall timber in parts ,well tall for the east cost that is .

You, me, and most of the rest of Oregon's population, Willie.

Sometimes I get to feeling a little tight around the elbows.

Awfully nice place to live, nonetheless.

Back