What pine is this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read that yesterday. I like the look of them

Looks like a pine we have up here in our Boreal forest when it grows in open country. Jack pine [Pinus banksiana]

but my second guess like squisher replied is Scots pine. Lots of them planted around here in residential areas and left to grow wild.

Willard.

Dont believe ive seen a Jack pine before, new trees intrigue me

Their called the "fire tree" here in Canada. Takes a forest fire to regenerate them. They can grow in sandy rocky ground. Make strong lumber, best for railway ties and take preservative [copper sulphate] easily.
Probably some homesick Canadian planting them around S Oregon.

Willard.

The one I posted is most certainly a stone pine, though the scots pine is pretty common too

Already starting to get a lean going; looking like it's getting ready to fall over.

Gotta be P. pinea.

Well since we have a "what pine is this thread".......

I think I have some Montery's (?)(Pinus radiata?) to trim. Few broken pieces in the storm and need raised for fire. Pretty little things. 3 needles about 3". Cones were almost 4".
Or are they something else?

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    828 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 1
I'm pretty sure it's radiata, Darin could confirm it,
Around here, you wouldn't want them over your house.

They call them frankenstein pine, grow fast, out of control and dangerous.
The one in your picture looked pretty tight, may be environmental/weather difference.

Yeah, i'm used to them having crazy long limbs but the cone clusters and bark look right

The lower limbs were pretty long and curvy.. Customer was not sure of the species and asked when she decided I should lift them after I take the black oak top from the front of the house that broke. I thought they would look pretty down the hill from our house here out front... About 50 - 70 feet away and could replace the grays I have there that will eventually become a problem.

Looks like what I cut and chip every day. Monterey Pine.

Lucky you, sticky buggers.

A lot of old ones around here once, but thinning out now with the urban sprawl. Some really big ones down south, they like it here. Also our biggest plantation trees.8)

So you guys have done the same as the Kiwis.
Logged off your native forests and replanted P Radiata.
The plantations I saw in New Zealand sure were a poor excuse for forests, but , man, could those trees grow.
I saw some logs with growth rings of more than an inch.

Nah Stig.. I would just like to have a couple.. They are more ornamental up here. We usually reforest with native species. Gray pines grow plenty fast. Pondos also.

I meant Tree Reb, the australian, not you, Stephen.

As for the growth rate, I come from a cold country where things grow slowly, so I'm easily impressed:)

...a little late :).
That's a Pinus Pinea ..Italian Stone Pine right?.....Learning too many names of the trees in english lately...startin to forget italian names :?

Lots of them around here....

1.JPG

Back