What, exactly IS a 'hack' tree person?

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 210
  • Views 19K
Thanks for the in depth posting on european pollarding, it's rationale and origins Stig.

Good stuff from you as usual mate!

jomoco

I wonder if anyone has pollarded coast redwoods successfully?

I understand they do resprout when topped quite vigorously.

Which if done at say 100 feet with a crane, over say 100 years, could possibly create an elephants foot big enough to hollow out a 3 bedroom 2 bath home in the heavens in?

I'll bet GB could do it! Well maybe his grand kids!

Could it work Mr. B?

Do giant sequoia's sucker like their cousins do?

jomoco

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We, as arborists, see the long and short term effects of different types of pruning/cutting/cabling etc.

But the follow up care except in few extreme cases just is a fantasy. Take those 200 year old lindens for example.

A great example is this idea that follow up care every 5 years or so to check cable jobs will actually happen for the next 25 years or however long the cable is installed.

A customer sells the home and no matter how well meaning the previous owner was, the new homeowner just won't pay to have the checking done. Or, they have their own tree guy who may, or may not, properly check the cable.

That is the drawback of assuming that a 'pollard' job on a tree will be properly taken care of.
jomoco mentions
Which if done at say 100 feet with a crane, over say 100 years
What really gets maintained over that kind of time span? Or even 20 years?

Trees live and die by a time line that far exceeds ours.

Too bad about treevet. This conversation has been constructive and enlightening. With a little effort any arborist or layman can see the value of this discussion.
I think he just does not want to have an open talk, rather a lecture on his point of view.
This is a treeforum, not a paid seminar hosted by someone with his point of view

I was hoping an oldtimer could answer my question about whether giant sequoia's sucker out like coastal redwoods do?

jomoco

Yes, cant really see it in my avatar but these tall trees most always have their tops blown out. The suckers are really huge trees in their own right

-does it make me an 'old timer' now that I answered your question?

Elm trees by regulation, have to have a qualified arborist present when they are pruned, for money. I believe the person who pruned these Siberian elms was thinking " I will be hired later to remove them". I consider this mentality to be un-ethical, which IMO is a trait that most HACKS have.

I hope I am NOT one of those guys GB was talkin' about on page one!

Here are a few of the pics! I would have put a few of the trees outta their misery, as they have been wacked at least twice.

Attachments

• DSCF0551 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0551 [640x480].JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0552 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0552 [640x480].JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0554 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0554 [640x480].JPG
    124 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0557 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0557 [640x480].JPG
    147 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0558 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0558 [640x480].JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 71
Squisher you have my support on the siberian elm trees. Then I find one that is much like an American elm. The shrub type ones are a PITA. I got word today that we now have BEBB (Banded Elm Bark Beetle) within 20 miles of my place. I guess we will TRY to save all of the Ulnus species we can. They are one of the species that grow in hardiness zone 2b.

Back on track, here are some pics of what a moonlighting Utility pruning crew did for cash. They also had NO business licence, insurance, and improperly disposed of the chips and wood.

I think I would call this hack work.

Attachments

• 2007_1016aaaaa0003 (Small).JPG
    2007_1016aaaaa0003 (Small).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 2007_1016aaaaa0004 (Small).JPG
    2007_1016aaaaa0004 (Small).JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 2007_1016aaaaa0006 (Small).JPG
    2007_1016aaaaa0006 (Small).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 68
jomoco
i hate topped stripped redwoods,
they grow back as fuzz and suck to restructure, and the tops fly off in winds
its reffered to as pecker poling around here,
i cant find anything nice to say about it except, when you finish cutting it like that , put a rope in it and pull it over

GB, I was asked by the Town Parks (and tree inspector) foreman to look at that site. It is on private property, BUT is still in contrivance of our Elm pruning regulations. I took the pics and sent them to the Provincial regulators, which called the job "an incomplete removal".

It was sent back to the inspector, who sent it to the by-law officer, and they are still there. This Town has a history of Red elm weevils, and the new bushy (and weakly attached) growth is hanging over the sidewalk that about 75 Elementary school kids walk by 4 times a day.

I think the reason they stopped at that height was it was as low as the boom on the forestry unit would go, without running up on the curb. AND if they cut much shorter, someone would have to hump wood out of the back yard.

I believe the difference between a good arborist and a HACK, is in their actions. Ethics determine our actions. IMO

Thanks for answering my question about whether giant sequoias sucker back after being topped Frans, I appreciate the info.

jomoco

jomoco
i hate topped stripped redwoods,
they grow back as fuzz and suck to restructure, and the tops fly off in winds
its reffered to as pecker poling around here,
i cant find anything nice to say about it except, when you finish cutting it like that , put a rope in it and pull it over

Thanks Thattreeguy.

I knew that coastal redwoods sucker out profusely, it was the gigantica's that I was unsure of.

jomoco

Back