What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

We had one of my personal favorites. A recipe from the pink city of Jaipur India. "Khasa-Obla-Gobhi." Cauliflower crown with a spiced tomato sause, covered in sour creme and cashews. All on a bed of perfect Basmati rice!

Damn! I think I'm getting hungry again!

1319405427_ad45b7726b_o.jpg

Incase anyone is handy in the kitchen, here is the recipe...

Khasa Obla Gobhi

Whole Cauliflower Crown with Spiced Tomato Sauce

1 large cauliflower or 2 small
about 3 cups salted water for cooking the cauliflower
5 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled, and quartered
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
1 bay leaf
6-8 peppercorns
4 tablespoons ghee
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream at room temperature
2 tablespoons slivered toasted almonds or pistachios

To prepare the cauliflower, trim off the base and outer green leaves, leaving only the light green leaves clinging to the flowerets. Using a small knife angled toward the center of the head, hollow out the stem about 1-1/2 inches deep.

Immerse the cauliflower head down in cold salted water.Pour the 3 cups salted water into a saucepan slightly larger than the cauliflower and bring to a boil over high heat. Place the cauliflower in it, stem end down, and when the water returns to the boil, cover and boil for 15-25 minutes over moderate heat.

Meanwhile, place the tomatoes in a small saucepan with the 1/4 cup water and the bay leaf and peppercorns. Gently boil over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Strain the juice through a sieve, discarding the seeds and spices.

Combine the ground spices with the 2 tablespoons of water in a small dish. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of ghee in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Add the spice water and fry for 30 seconds. Pour in the tomato juice, salt and sugar, bring to a boil and reduce until thick enough to coat a stirring spoon.

To serve, spoon the tomato sauce over the cauliflower, drizzle the yogurt or sour cream over the sauce and sprinkle with nuts. Serve immediately, cutting into wedges...

Haha, I was gonna ask for the recipe! Thanks, Drella. I love to cook BTW. :D

Home made PIZZA - bbq chicken, mushroom, tomatoes, pesto, capers

yummy

We finally got some lobster today. Had them grilled along with the fish John shot today. Grilled squash, parsley potato and salad. Well, that is what Hillary and John had, I had boiled lobster legs with honey mustard. Yum!

I am sooooo glad I never worked fast food. I think my head would explode if I had to spend 6 hours around such idiots.

I stopped at Arby's for 2 beef & cheddar sammiches and specified NO sauce (that nasty red sauce they smear on everything). "Will that be all?" "Yes, that's all". Get to the window, "Would you like some sauce for your sandwiches?" They ask me that 3 out of 4 times I stop there. I wish there was some way I could order without being rude and make the point that I don't want any nasty sauce. But I fail at communications and I either have to ignore the question or else end up sounding like an asshole by telling them that "no sauce" really means "no sauce".

Balado Terong

1320289276_a452e2edea_o.jpg

Balado Terong

Spicy Javanese Eggplant:

6 small thin eggplants cut into thick rings
oil for deep frying
3 large tomatoes, cut into quarters
3 or 4 large red chilies
2 tablespoons oil
two small chunks galangal root
half a blade of fresh lemon grasssmall
handful curry leaves
2 tablespoons palm sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Blend the tomatoes and whole chilies together in a blender or food processor until smooth. Remove the puree` and set aside.

Heat the oil for deep-frying in a wok or pan over high heat until fairly hot.

Fry the eggplant pieces in 2 or 3 batches, until they are tender enough to pierce with a point of a knife. Set the eggplants aside to drain.

Heat another 2 tablespoons oil in a pan or wok over moderate heat. When hot, drop in the galangal and lemon grass. Fry for one minute, or until fragrant. Add the curry leaves, fry momentarily, then add the tomato and chili mixture.

Cook for 5 or 10 minutes, or until thick and saucy. Add the sugar and salt, stir to dissolve, and gently fold in the eggplant pieces.

Serve Balado Terong hot with rice.

And here's the recipe for perfect Basmati Rice.

Fragrant Basmati Rice

PREPARATION TIME: 50-10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25-23 minutes
YIELD: enough for 3 or 4 persons

1 cup basmati rice
1 tablespoon butter or ghee
1-1/2 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt

1. Wash the rice in a medium-sized stainless mixing bowl. Rinse in several changes of water until it runs relatively clear, let soak for 15 minutes then drain.

2. Heat the butter or ghee in a heavy 2 quart non-stick skillet over moderate heat. When the butter is frothy or the ghee is hot, pour in the rice and gently stir-fry it for about 10 minutes or until some of the grains become translucent and evenly absorb the butter of ghee.

3. Meanwhile, bring the water and salt to the boil in another saucepan over moderate heat. Pour the boiling water into the sauteed` rice, increase the heat, and allow the rice to boil for a few seconds.Immediately reduce the heat to very low, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and gently simmer for 20 - 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water is fully absorbed. Remove the rice from the heat, and let it sit, covered, for another 5 minutes. Remove the lid and allow the steam to evaporate for another few minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve piping hot.

I wont even comment on the retards that seem to be at the drive thru windows around here. How many times can I say 'NO ONIONS!" and they still slap that shit in there.

or the classic " big mac meal, no onion, no lettuce, fries and a diet coke"
" what would you like to drink with that?

"uhm, a frikkin diet coke? I just said it like 15 seconds ago"
" you dont need to be rude sir"

FFS.

its a wonder I still go there from time to time. :)

a classic: John Belushi Cheeseburger: http://www.truveo.com/John-Belushi-in-Cheeseburger/id/4022720070 sorry cant embed, couldnt find on youtube

Paul I tell myself "You chose to eat crap so you must put up with it" Every time that happens to me

I harken back to a certain video star saying dont go to the drive thru cus they F@#$ you. was it joe pesci?

hmm, new york strip, half a baked zuchini and maybe a small salad or some new spuds with a dab of butter.
Havent made it yet but its on deck for sometime soon. :D

changeup, now new york strip, small baked zuchini, couple small pieces garlic bread, garlic mashed new potatoes :D wife is gone for the night so I can eat all the garlic n'onions that I want!