What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

Balado Tarong

Japanese eggplant in a sweetened and dried chili pepper spiced tomato sauce. Also has onion, lemon grass, galangal root and curry leaves.
Served best on a bed of basmati rice.

image.jpg

I am pretty pleased with my self. Pan fried salmon in a little peanut oil. Potatoes with onions, green beans, and salad with home made Roquefort dressing. Some low dollar Lindeman's Australian Cabernet savignon. With a little ketchup even the kids ate the salmon. I wish we could get better fish up here, I am getting pretty good at cooking it.

Jim, bet your kids might like barbecued Salmon. Get one of those wire enclosure things for bbq, butter and garlic on it while cooking. Great eating and it looks very appetizing too.

Vegetarian daughter was home two nights ago, so I made a Moroccan root vegetable Tagine with brussel sprouts and green beans in it
Also made a side of cooked kale with olive oil, onions, garlic, craisins, chopped dates, hot pepper flakes, thyme, basil, and a touch of cumin.
Had it as leftovers tonight with a cold Granny Smith Woodchuck cider...
Homemade strawberry ice cream and rice-flour brownies for dessert both nights (yesterday was her birthday).

There is a couple of you guys on here that make vegetarian cooking sound pretty tasty. Sounds good. Sazjer comes up with some tasty sounding stuff too.

I am embarrassed Jay that I had not thought of that before. We eat a shore lunch once in a while and could really use one of those wire things. I generally use a frying pan or make the tin foil packets to cook the trout we catch. Before I got married and lived off the land quite a bit we used to take about a 10 inch trout and cut the head off and bend it in half so it would fit in a beer can with the top cut off. We would then put the can in the coals and the fish would sorta steam itself in its own juices. You could leave a little beer in the bottom, but I never cared for the flavor. You could cook a frog or a small catfish the same way, doves and rabbits were better direct roasted. One rabbit was cooked on a tire iron when we had no green willows, probably took all the temper out of the tire iron.
Thanks for the idea Jay. I think I will order two.

A little wood smoke things to make just about everything taste better. Fun way to cook as well, I find, sort of a mystery to it.

I cook a lot of Indian. Trying to reduce the meat intake a little due to rampant heart issues on both sides of the family. Still, every once in a while meat just calls my name and I'll take a Pork Roast, cut thin slits all through it, stuff them with garlic, coat it with a Mustard and apricot butter coating and slow-bake it in the oven... or a Lamb Vindaloo or Chicken Tikka Masala... didn't Samuel Clemens say, "moderation in all things, especially moderation"...

:thumbup:

You city folk sure seem to eat well, I was just remembering how good a can of Hormel chili and a beer can frog go together.:)

Your recipies sound really good. I remember when my wife bought a grilling cook book. I thought it was the dumbest thing ever, I mean how many ways could one grill a hamburger? The next day I was cooking a pork tenderloin stuffed with dried cranberries and thyme, with ricotta cheese.
The meat and potatoes stereotype is so accurate for this area it is scary. Almost like we dont trust "big city ways". I do try to experiment some, I even went three days without eating beef once!

For me Jay, cooking over a wood fire is quite satisfying and comfortable. It kind of suppresses the primitive in me, because i have a hair cut now and shaved off the beard, I aint that domesticated that I cant knock off a rabbit with a rock and cook it up right quick.

For me, doing a barbecue and drinking a beer while at it, is like a fairly accessible ultimate pleasure. I feel at peace. Could be my primitive link to California.

When I do that I get to forget about the horrors of farm life. I stand in front of the grill with a beer or a whisky ditch, sun on my forearms, and forget about the constant gut ache of agriculture. Kids on the swing set and my wife by my side. The only other time I get to feel that way is when I take a ride in my friend's boat. Same deal, sun on my forearms, beer, and forget.

Guess I'm like you, Jim. Salmon fishing out there off of Bodega Bay with my friend, Ron in his boat, such happy times. Plus you get the much added plus of sometimes catching a beautiful fish, which leads back to the the other happy moments of barbecue. We should put this in the religion thread!

i have a hair cut now and shaved off the beard, .

You really look a lot better without, Jim.

It made you look like a goddamn hippie.
You know, the kind that would drink a goddamned Australian cabernet, as if there was something wrong with good old American produced wine.
Probably drives a toyota as well!

BTW, what is a "beer can frog" and please don't let it be what I fear it is.

:lol: Thanks for that Stig, I haven't laughed like that for a long time.

Firstly, I did not know it was Australian wine, all I knew is that it was cheap.

And no, I drive a Chevrolet Land Destroyer. 8.1 liter.

You catch a frog, clean it, cut the top off a beer can, put frog inside, and set the can in the coals, eat frog with lots of beer. Tastes like shit, but keeps you from starving.

:lol: My dad was the only other person to ever get away with calling me a hippie!

You catch a frog, clean it, cut the top off a beer can, put frog inside, and set the can in the coals, eat frog with lots of beer. Tastes like shit, but keeps you from starving.
I can't find the barf smiley!
I bet that would take a LOT of beer.