What Are You Drinking Tonight?

I got really drunk on peach schnapps once as a kid, and to this day peach and alcohol is a bad combination. Peach isn't a flavor I really enjoy anyway. I like peaches, but not peach flavored stuff.

This morning I had coffee with Carolans Irish cream and salmiakki(thanks stig!). That's a fantastic combination. Something like sambuca, or ouzo would probably approximate it close enough, though I've never had sambuca to confirm.
Getting it in early! My man! =-D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same pic from earlier in the thread a year ago, same bottle, different glass.

img_20230108_000036124_hdr-jpg.125982

A half bottle of Sancerre to accompany an overpriced cold meal. Got to drive the other side. So got to get my drinking in the first hour of a four hour boat trip.
Only 1000 meters to the motel where I’ll stay overnight. But still….

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
img_20240106_210840406-jpg.135155

Just one shot. I want to make it last. I've been on a huge bitters kick lately. This, Jepsons Malört, Alta Verde amaro, and Underberg. Bitter dram is my favorite of the bunch I think. Complex flavor, and the right amount of alcohol. The Alta Verde is pretty tasty, but kinda weak at 24% alcohol. If they bumped it up to 35%, it would be a lot better.

img_20240106_210840406-jpg.135155

Just one shot. I want to make it last. I've been on a huge bitters kick lately. This, Jepsons Malört, Alta Verde amaro, and Underberg. Bitter dram is my favorite of the bunch I think. Complex flavor, and the right amount of alcohol. The Alta Verde is pretty tasty, but kinda weak at 24% alcohol. If they bumped it up to 35%, it would be a lot better.
Does that have a rum base and some kind of allspice that I can't read because I don't speak Danish? I think that's Danish. Sorta like German. It says "Danske," so I think that's Denmark. I'm too lazy to translate it. I'm a millennial. What do you expect? We get things handed to us heh heh Spoon feed me, @lxskllr!

EDIT: Wearing camo as usual, I see.

Neutral grain base. It's a digestif with bitter herbs. 29 herbs, roots, bark, leaves, and flowers according to the label :^D

I believe it is potato based.
Primary taste is Rowanberries, a lot of the bitterness is from Gentian root.
The rest is secret, of course.

Last edited:
Nope, unlike a lot of other bitters and liqueurs, Gammel Dansk was not made for any health benefits, real or imagined.
Just for tasting good.

I'm pretty skeptical of apéritifs and digestifs doing anything. I seldom have stomach trouble of any kind, so I can't test them for functionality. I think they're probably just an excuse for drinking more alcohol, with a little dash of placebo, so they may work after a fashion, but wouldn't hold up to scientific analysis.

I'm pretty skeptical of apéritifs and digestifs doing anything. I seldom have stomach trouble of any kind, so I can't test them for functionality. I think they're probably just an excuse for drinking more alcohol, with a little dash of placebo, so they may work after a fashion, but wouldn't hold up to scientific analysis.
As someone with a ton of GI tract drama, I can tell you with absolute confidence that the last thing I would want to drink for a sour stomach or nausea, etc. would be anything with alcohol. Never mind something loaded with intense spices and herbs and other flavorings. In fact, there's quire literally no condition of the human body for which alcohol would be superior to basic OTC medications or prescription drugs proven to be safer. Alcohol is a toxin and a carcinogen. It even causes cancer haha

As someone with a ton of GI tract drama, I can tell you with absolute confidence that the last thing I would want to drink for a sour stomach or nausea, etc. would be anything with alcohol. Never mind something loaded with intense spices and herbs and other flavorings. In fact, there's quire literally no condition of the human body for which alcohol would be superior to basic OTC medications or prescription drugs proven to be safer. Alcohol is a toxin and a carcinogen. It even causes cancer haha
Alcohol alleviates my itchy knuckles. Although admittedly, it makes most other folks' itch worse.

e2e92631-f724-4868-bf59-d8b9c1e6a397_1000.jpg

Trying to get Mike his climbing flasks. I need to get off my ass and drink some vodka. I think I'll have one finished tonight, but it has a broken cap. I'm hoping the plastic Malört cap will fit it. That would actually be ideal, cause it's a different color. Helps prevent mixing up gas and oil.

View attachment 136257

Trying to get Mike his climbing flasks. I need to get off my ass and drink some vodka. I think I'll have one finished tonight, but it has a broken cap. I'm hoping the plastic Malört cap will fit it. That would actually be ideal, cause it's a different color. Helps prevent mixing up gas and oil.
Don't be a pussy, @lxskllr. Drink that 100 proof Smirnoff. It will sterilize you and let your freely copulate with any woman you want, as many times as you want, without a condom. #FalseTruths

Smirnoff 100 Proof.jpg

Haha, like Mike wants your backwash used bottles for flasks. :lol: Nothing wrong with vodka though...maybe you could have chosen a better brand however.

I'm struggling with the Smirnoff. Stolichnaya is pretty decent, but it doesn't come in pocket friendly plastic flasks afaik.

Jim Beam comes in 3/4 liter plastic traveler flasks. We recycled a couple of those for Jasper's water when backpacking or trail hiking, which he carried in his pannier pack. They are tough!

Beam white label isn't top shelf, but it's not rotgut either :). You could sacrifice that much for Mike, right John?
:)

I could do Beam, and I probably should've, but I already bought the vodka. When I got my flasks I got vodka and Southern Comfort. I liked Comfort has a kid, but holy shit it's terrible now. I think it's a combination of my tastes changing, and the actual product changing. It tasted cheaper and more synthetic than I remembered.

I could do Beam, and I probably should've, but I already bought the vodka. When I got my flasks I got vodka and Southern Comfort. I liked Comfort has a kid, but holy shit it's terrible now. I think it's a combination of my tastes changing, and the actual product changing. It tasted cheaper and more synthetic than I remembered.
The reference to southern comfort just made me hate you John. 😁

Back