WET aerial work injury?

Was hugging a co-dom on a sugar maple, plan was to step up, tend slack, work. Slipped, slid down not even a couple feet and my hand wedged in the tight crotch, just an inch short of the climb line AND a lanyard stopping the unplanned descent.

What is or has been your experience with wet tree climbing injuries? Elbow, knee, shoulder?
Spur less climbing considering?

Thanks for posting this question. I only climb when I wish to, no outside pressure, and as such I tend to be a fair weather climber. This question and the answers to it are only reinforcing this decision for me.

Having said that, the use of an over the shoulder self-tender which minimizes the distance one is permitted to fall seems like a really good practice, especially in conditions where slipping seems likely. The other thing is the use of two ropes and two climbing systems. Keeping slack tended with two systems means usually only taking a small back and forth swing between two high tie-in points, instead of a huge swing back into the trunk, if you were to slip during a limbwalk, for example.

Tim

Back