Wasp stings

Jay, if your reactions to being stung are becoming more intense, you should carry an epi-pen because (eventually) you will be stung and it will turn into anaphylactic shock - VERY BAD! I know someone who always pooh-pooh-ed the fact that when he got stung he had to go into the woods for a few minutes (gut trouble, he called it). One day he didn't come back and was found dead of anaphylactic shock. He never realized the danger of becoming more and more sensitized to the venom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Kate for the cautionary. The reactions that I have been experiencing of late are pretty rad swelling and almost instantaneous infection, and this last time a little dizziness included. Whether that qualifies as severe I'm not sure, but it is a step or two beyond when previously barely getting any reaction at all from stings. i really do fear the Giant wasp in particular, like the bad guy who rides into town and people stay in their houses and close their curtains as a result. One hostile encounter is definitely enough. I need to get an expert opinion on whether further consideration is required. Appreciate the heads up. :)

I went down to the neighbors tonight to snip a bald faced nest out of a white pine. An hour and a half after dark they were still way to active and alert. I guess early in the morning it is. I have a 5 gallon pail with a snap on lid to put them in. I might put my bee veil and gloves on to play it safe. No sense playing tough guy with those things.

Jay: I don't believe that "God created such things as wasps." I believe the Genesis story that nature fell, and everything started evolving wrongly.:(

Why on earth snip the nest out? I sprayed the bejeezus out of one in a small tree by my creek early on a cool morning last week. Dead, done, no problem.

Wasps in some cases were put on this earth to eat the borers that devastate the trees. And of course to sting us silly humans that come in too close... :/: See... everything does have a design and purpose Jed :D

My bud used to do grounds maintenance for several school complexes told me he used to do it that way. This nest is about the size of 5 gallon pail. Probably big number of residents and walls to keep spray from penetrating? How big was your nest. Nipping them out shouldn't be a big deal.

For Jed......

Little Johnny came home from parochial school one day with a note of suspension from the office.

His mother immediately, in a furious tone, asked what he could have possibly done to warrant a suspension.

Little Johnny relied... The God damn flies!

His mother wanted to wash out his mouth right then and there... But really, just had to know what had her son meant by that statement at his tender young age......

She asked him to tell her what exactly he meant by that statement.

Johnny told her it was because of a question about God. But it was a bit of a story..
Of course... now she really needed to know and quizzically egged him on to relive the days events.

Johnny told her the priest that was teaching the class asked the class a question.... They were talking about all Gods creatures and how each certainly had a purpose. Of course Johnny thought he knew of one creature that had no purpose in Gods plan. Johnny raised his hand and was called upon.. Johnny told the teacher that flies had no great purpose in Gods plan. The Priest started to argue that every creature did. No matter what Johnny might think he knew about flies and how pesky they were.
No matter how they spoil food and transmit disease. They had a purpose. Johnny just stood there. Looked up at the priest and argued they did not... He would not back down on something he knew was purposeless in all of God's creations...

Finally, angrily and tired of the argument with a young boy, the priest asked Johnny the would go ahead then and name 3 things that have no purpose of God's creations... Or that if he could for that matter.
Johnny then loudly replied, frustrated by the priests persistence:

Yes sir....!!!

Tits on a Nun!!
Balls on a Priest!!
And the God damned flies!!

Jerry, if you don't have another project, that would be a fun documentary to watch!:D

Burnham, a bald face hornets nest on a stick is an interesting home decoration, just don't ask my wife's opinion on that!

It's a great decorating idea. The saw shop here has a nice huge hornets nest, all shiny and shellacked, complete with mounted critters on it. VERY cool looking!

Well you about have to spray the things with shellac,varnish ,urethane or something because even in a building they will fall apart .The two I have in my shed are falling apart because I didn't seal them .

As soon as the leaves are falling I might try to find a couple more .By frost the wasps or hornets are gone from them .

The wasps around here are nuts lately. Nobody is getting stung though but they are still annoying as hell. I decided against taking a pic of them hollowing out a big fat juicy caterpillar but thought this worth a snap. My cat doesn't mind feeding them.

002.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those wasps must be saying "Hey man, it don't get no better than this".

I think they are yellow jackets.

The nest is in the bag, and then in the 5 gallon bucket with a snap on lid. I got nicked once shoving the bag down into the bucket, trying to get the air out. The bugger stung me through the bag. Not bad yet, about 40 minutes. Got a couple pics.

After looking at that link I see the error of my ways .They lack the "hair" of a honey bee .

Yeah we have them,they are the ones that like to fool with my wife .Also the ones I torture .I stun the things with a flp of my hat then work on them with my pocket knife .With part of a wing gone and no stinger they can't do much .They can't fly when they are drenched with water from a hose either . Al the meany:evil:

The wasps around here are nuts lately. Nobody is getting stung though but they are still annoying as hell. I decided against taking a pic of them hollowing out a big fat juicy caterpillar but thought this worth a snap. My cat doesn't mind feeding them.

View attachment 35792

They are absolutely crazy here too this year, maybe a western Canadian thing?

Back