Wall of Shame: Wannabe Experts

Also, I'm not a fan of cutting near the waist like that, unless I'm on terra firma.

Oh, and the narrator should be shot.

With that "funny" crook in the trunk it's hard to tell where the vertical lies, and estimate the true lean in the top.

It appears the top grew off a tree that was forced over when it was younger. Hence the crook in the stem. I've seen a million of them in the woods. I also worked in a million of them.

In those scenarios the resulting new "tops" often exhibit straight vigorous growth, with wide growth rings, and that, I have learned, always makes for clear and easy splitting grain.

In the Douglas fir it's not unusual to see internodes (whorls of limbs) spaced 5 to 6 feet apart. That's hauling ass. Falling and bucking those trees, if you get too relaxed, they're splitting bastards. Likewise the same with alder.

Typical in northwest rain forests. Your locale and species may differ.

Panic grip, the arborist equivalent of whiskey throttle. More common than we'd like to belive. I count myself lucky that I had the wherewithal to huck my saw when I fell.

One time I was running my top handle on the ground. I got tangled up in brush and kinda "fell". My feet were trapped in vines, my weight was getting pushed forward, and my finger was locked on the trigger, and I couldn't release. It took almost everything I had to keep my left hand off the spinning chain. The way I was tangled, and pushed up against fallen limbs, I was going right for the saw, and could barely force myself off of it.

Why do they always seem to have a freaking ladder in the tree cutting fail videos? haha As @Kaveman said, it was highly predictable what was going to happen next.

@flushcut Well, this is typically true for most falls. But if you leave huge nubs during a take down, or if you're up in something with a lot of branches, you might turn into a human game of Plinko.

Obviously the groundie should have been at least 30’ further away in this situation but this seems like a huge chunk to rig. 2 pieces would have been better imho. Is the 2 piece me being fearful because of ignorance or is it just prudent sense?

Groundy should have been to the side for starters, that’s the first and most easily rectifiable mistake.
Actually Murph who pointed that out first time this was posted.
Then piece too big, not enough wraps, climber a dick…

Obviously the groundie should have been at least 30’ further away in this situation but this seems like a huge chunk to rig. 2 pieces would have been better imho. Is the 2 piece me being fearful because of ignorance or is it just prudent sense?
Just common sense

‘go big for insta clicks’ is a thing.

Wow, that climber was shockingly nonchalant about just dropping an oversized chunk onto his ground guy. It's almost like he's done it before and is now desensitized to maiming team members. Sure, the groundie should have been out of the way, but sheesh!

Back