Using a sling instead of a biner for flipline????

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I wonder if a spectra loop sling can entirely replace the 'biner on a mechanical adjuster. If it is sewn in an open circle, unlike the one shown here http://www.wesspur.com/fliplines/mechanical-adjusters.html, at the bottom of the page, maybe you could just girth hitch both end. If you were to use the cuttable link spectra connector with a biner, it would seem to be about as long off the D ring.

Any thoughts?

Maybe I"ll try this Tuesday at work.

It will work.

You could increase the rescue-ability of the setup by going with a sewn nylon sling instead of dyneema. Any half sharp knife will cut the nylon no prob. The same can't be said about dyneema.

We were always told to incorporate some textile into a wire core flipline system for recue if using a mechanical adjuster and biner.
I'd agree with Nick

I use a mammut dyneema sling

Girth the mechanical adjuster.....pass through the d ring , then back through adjuster and over the works again. Makes the sling the same length as biner with the strands be doubled too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's what I'm thinking, No Bivy. Seems to be removable from the harness easily enough (I take mine on and off a lot). What length sling?

That's what I'm thinking, No Bivy. Seems to be removable from the harness easily enough (I take mine on and off a lot). What length sling?

Not sure.... I would guess 9" QuickDraw
They are probably measured in cm though. I ll look to see

If you keep that, it might be worth stitching a few times. I'm going to get a sewn one in the next order, probably.

Thanks for the update. Pic if its convenient.

I at least take mine off for storing in my toolbox, if not many times during the day. I may not like the girth hitch if the sling is too tight. My flipline is a 5/8's x 15, so the length, weight, etc make me want to leave it at a tree oftentimes if I am going back up it after a break or cleaning up.

Cool.

I know many people use one. Its not ANSI or OSHA compliant. Something that matters if you have an employee using it.

To each, their own.

The lanyard I started with was basically a double line system. Looped through one D and adjusted with a taught-line hitch. A 6 footer you could shorten up to 3 ft. That's all. I improved on it later with a separate, or independent tail, so you could shorten it up all the way to the connector. A split tail system. My cohorts at the time said it looked scary and would not try it, but over time some did adapt my idea into their climbing system. That was back in the early 70's.

today mechanical grabs take the place of the taught-line hitch in the system. Pretty standard now.

Man, in the old days it was like prehistoric, but that is exactly where I started. Like so many old schooler's still kicking today. It's all good.

Pic didn't upload today. I'll upload it again tonight. I am really liking how much less hassle it is. I've been working in several birch this week that have limbs growing into the powerlines and I have been needing to clip and unclip my flipline a lot. No more fighting with it being all twister up. And no torqing the biner.

I was thinking of going with a girth hitch on the D and a girth hitch on the ascender.

CL- you could go a little longer with your sling and girth hitch it to the biner. Effectively no longer length, but prevents some risk of crossloading.

I think I'll make another one with a snap see if I can tie the knot with the snap in and then girth hitch it to the rope grab. I usually use the short flipline but sometimes need the 18' .

Back