Understanding wood fiber -theory.

davidwyby

Desert Beaver
@gf beranek talks about understanding hinge fiber. I got to thinking about how wood splits more easily when split parallel to the growth rings (I think this might contribute to barber chairing on the back cut). Also about which way is desirable to have the grain in an axe handle. They are more flexible to the side, partially due to shape, and I think partially due to grain. Finally, about how logs are milled to produce boards with different grain patterns for different purposes/strengths.

1/3 of the way in, the cut is relatively parallel to the growth rings. I think wood fiber holds and bends more (or pulls and compresses more) when bent flat to the the layers/rings. If the hinge is in the center of the tree, the rings/layers are 90* to the hinge/bending direction and it seems to me would resist bending more and be more brittle.

Species, species, species....

Isn't splitting stubborn wood species dependent? I know stubborn locust will chip off fracturing on the ring surfaces. Problem is I can't remember if another species behaves with radial splits. Could it just be that a chord-cut is simply shorter/less wood surface to split than a diameter cut? But that ignores the separation along the ring boundary. Do videos of barber chairs show along-ring splitting or chord path - I think chord path.

Back