Turning all your brushwwod into firewood

Thor's Hammer

Wolfish. Sometimes Bites.
I must admit, I absolutely love these machines. Real simple design, and turns all your brushwood that would go to waste into firewood and kindling.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XjRqrfS3plc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This must be the day Europian gadgets .I just saw a splitter that would split 4 feet long stuff on another web forum .Why in the world you would want to split stuff 8 inchs in diameter and 4 feet long I haven't a clue .

Now this thing .Rather ingenious though I must say .

Done that way since time immemorial in central Europe.

When I logged in Switzerland, we cut all firewood to that length. Then it was sledded out of the woods and recut to whatever measure the buyer wanted.

And yes, I mean sledded.
We used horses on the mountainsides. That was the second best thing about logging in Schweiz, working with draft horses.

The best was walking down off the mountain after work in winter, when the 3 big ones, Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau were shining rosecoloured with the setting sun's last light. That is my absolute # 1 favourite logging memory.

The German word for it is Alpenglühen. Erik may appreciate that one:)

It's just a different method of doing things evidently .

I guess on those river drives of decades ago they used to dump 4 foot pulp logs in the river .

Now the trimmers seem to like to cut 4 footers .Apparently so they could all have bad backs and hernias by the time they are 30 is all I can figure .I think they're nuts myself .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Done that way since time immemorial in central Europe.

When I logged in Switzerland, we cut all firewood to that length. Then it was sledded out of the woods and recut to whatever measure the buyer wanted.

And yes, I mean sledded.
We used horses on the mountainsides. That was the second best thing about logging in Schweiz, working with draft horses.

The best was walking down off the mountain after work in winter, when the 3 big ones, Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau were shining rosecoloured with the setting sun's last light. That is my absolute # 1 favourite logging memory.

The German word for it is Alpenglühen. Erik may appreciate that one:)

Fancy that. I have had a long fascination with the Eiger, and the nordwand in particular.

You call that firewood? Looks like big chips, to me. :lol:

Interesting machine, but where's the safety bar?

I would just chip the brush. But I would have a few elderly clients that would buy the smaller wood by the bag. Nice machine on a thinning job. No one here will by 1/2 bag of kindling :lol:

Those plastic bags fill up quick, constantly changing them out would be a chore. Do they expect people to burn the chopped up bits green? For a wood heat cook stove with a small firebox, that size material might be good.

You stack them up to dry. Those sackfulls would sell for £10 a piece. 2 men would do 2 - 300 in a day.

Lots of folks here still heat their baths with an outdoor firebox along the back or side of the house. The chips look like a perfect size for the small burners. Bet the bagfulls would sell.

I could make money with that machine. I sell a lot of firewood to folks with pot belly stoves and small decorative stoves that request the wood by no more then 12" long and small diameter. With the processor I don't mind those orders but what that machine there, I would enjoy them.

would be great for an ammo box stove. :D

Cooking.jpg

Chris gets it ;)
Beauty of it is, every time you do a small tree job, your waste is turned into a valuable product.

I love the simplicity and the chopchopchopchopchop noise :D

Dont think so Jay, but ot would be a piece of cake to put a little 3 cylinder lister or Hatz engine on to drive it. I'd probably make a safety bar linked to a clutch on the drive too.

Interesting. Alot of the old ladies want small pieces of firewood cause normal size is too heavy. $5 a bag I would think would be cheap enough for folks to want. Markets would likely keep a pallet out front and it would be waay cheaper than what they currently have

Good point. Once the wood dried, those sized bags would probably be fairly easily transportable by the average person. Thinking like from outdoors into the house.

Back