Tulip tree murder

I'm on Jerrys page. Like I said earlier, you wrecked that tree instead of playing party cakes with it in baby sized pieces. You took a big tree, your skills and tools, and put them together well. I admire your style. Let's see some footage of rigging the wood.

The best part about watching stuff like this is no matter how good you think you are, you can still pick up little techniques and tricks to make your own routine a little smoother or more efficient.

Thank you ever so much! That is probably the highest compliment one could ever receive. I will certainly think on it.

Mainly on my mind while working is to get the job done safe, quick, and easy.

I am just editing the next footage from that job, rigging wood isn't as interesting as the branches in my eyes. How can you make that interesting?

Hearing a rigging rope snap and watching a piece go where it ain't supposed to is always interesting.....though not what one would desire, of course. :lol:

Nice job on the video!

Yes, nice smooth video. Good job. For future, I would like to see a bit more of the rigging action, say, untying the block, moving down, resetting the block, going out to tie off the next piece, and all the setup stuff in-between cuts. Seems everyone just shows making the cut and watching it fall, after it's all set up.

Nice Ben, Tree Wise Men dream team doing it again! Got a big dead Norway maple for you next week...working for a very nice English lady actually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is the second video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHXlJdTADXI

The owner was replacing all the broken up concrete around the pool, that the tree had ruined. Also she was ripping up the brick where I laid the stick, so she wasn't fussed if it got tore up. And she hates the fence around the pool, but the county insist she has it for some reason. I tried to remove it initially, but it wouldn't budge. When the stem fell, it split right in two, making it easier to cut up, but one half touched the fence post, which we fixed and made better than it was before.

So then evidently this tulip tree is the same as we call tulip poplar ?

If so they can get rather huge in a relatively short period of time .They were planted years ago as fast growing shade trees in addition to soft maples .After about 100 years they've grown large ,undermined building foundations and such ,split concrete and just became general nuisances and hazard trees .

On the bright side if nothing else they do provide employment for arborists and treemen .

here you go, now embedded...excellent editing, enjoyed watching the dismantling.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AHXlJdTADXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Liriodendron
Yeah same stuff .

I had a load of it I used to tune the saws in dropped off by one of the trimmers a few years ago.About like cotton wood .Heavy as lead when still green and light as a feather after it dried .Geeze some of that pile were nearly 4 feet across as i recall .

Well yeah as firewood it burns which is about all that can be said for .

However for both tulip AKA yellow poplar and cottonwood it is just about warp proof once it's dried into lumber plus it's split resistant .It has about the same if not better workablity than white pine and as such is often used for less expensive trim and decorative pieces .Both take stain well if done correctly .It's an option for some as oppossed to higher priced lumbers like select and fine oak or cherry .

It has a marketability about like any other tree if a person just knew what that market is .Yard tree ---camp fire wood is about it .

Thank you ever so much! That is probably the highest compliment one could ever receive. I will certainly think on it.

Mainly on my mind while working is to get the job done safe, quick, and easy.

I am just editing the next footage from that job, rigging wood isn't as interesting as the branches in my eyes. How can you make that interesting?

It's all in the details.

I thought I was the only old fart here who liked the old, slow sounds instead of the head banging stuff! I love my local smooth jazz station, those songs would fit right in their playlist.

Well done. What Jerry said. Man, it's so funny, but I knew that you were a Baranek fan the moment I saw you write 'work'. :lol:

What Jer said abt the music too. That first song sort of "gets" you in a wierd place doesn't It? Reminiscent of the Police perhaps?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of course i have huge respect for that man! Who doesn't? I have also been lucky in working with Reg Coates for numerous years since i first started, he is a great tree guy.

Since I have been ion the States, I really think that taking on some of the trees here has really widened my horizons and methods of working. Good experience.

Back