Treeverse

When you take into account all the gear they kept with them, thats a pretty difficult adventure. Cool.

It is cool.

It makes me wonder a lot about the methods they used to set, retrieve, and anchor the lines for the next traverse. I'm sure in the full presentation some aspects of the methods will be elaborated on. I can't wait to watch.

there was a segment, at about 4.15, that appears the climber is levering off his right ankle on a spur point to help gain entry into the next tree.

this observation was brought up at the buzz this morning by one member, and then quickly denied by another, "that spurs were not used." It's makes you wonder though.

I'm an old school climber an firmly believe that an odd prick by a spur point isn't going to hurt a moderately aged to mature oak in the least.

and even if spurs were used it's still an amazing accomplishment in my book. Bravo!

It does look kind of like a spur...but, just a bit before that (about 4:03) you could see he had a pantin on that R foot...maybe it was the strap of the pantin hanging down that just looked like a spur?

I don't care either way. But I know that segment in the video is bound to haunt them boys. right or wrong if they don't edit it out they will be trying to explain the details to every one for the rest of their lives.

It's prophecy practically written in stone.

Look at 3:56 when he is traversing...looks like a pantin to me. My pantin strap is long and sometime hangs out like that. But you are right..if it is a spur, woe to them having to continually answer for it. Editing would be a good idea.

I'm not emphasizing anything about damage done to the tree, Butch. Even if that were a spur prick... a single spur prick... it wouldn't amount to more than a flea bite on a two hundred pound Elk hound any way. No real damage done in my book.

a simple edit will fix it all.

This whole thing has long been a burr under my saddle

You are right.
The whole non spurring thing has gone overboard.

When I climbed and cut branches for x-mas decoration ( that is where i logged most of my climbing hours in the 80es), I had a hard time getting up some Normann firs that had been cut by a basket crew. ( when we climbed them, we always left stubs with live branches on then, to step on next time around). When I bitched about it, the forrester told me to use spurs.
his argument was that I was going up those trees to cut virtually all their branches off, did i really think spurring them was going to matter.

I have revisited lots of trees that I have spurclimbed back before I knew how to get up in a tree without.
On most of them I haven't been able to see any marks.
It depends a lot on the species.

Where do they have 200 pds Elkhounds, Jerry.
Texas?

The same here on my learning tree next to my shop, a Chestnut that I spiked the heck out of. The wounds are hard to see now. My rationale was that I was figuring to cut it some day anyway. "It would heal", would have sufficed.

I was speaking metaphorically, Stig.

I have long received much feed back from the rec climbing community about my past spur climbs in the old growth trees. They never forget it. Even in spite that I haven't used spurs for rec climbs for over 25 years. I still hear about it.

Some folks don't like to see it that man is the dominant species. Sometimes it comes down to low self esteem.

I have long received much feed back from the rec climbing community about my past spur climbs in the old growth trees. They never forget it. Even in spite that I haven't used spurs for rec climbs for over 25 years. I still hear about it.

That is like complaining about Amundsen using sleddogs!
You use whatever is available at the time.
That something new comes along 20 years later, doesn't make whatever you used bad.
PC bullshit.

As for being one of the evil redwood killers, I'm one myself.
Only got to fell one, in 99, but I sure enjoyed the hell out of that:D

I VERY much wished I'd had a couple of days more in Cali, so I could have gone out with Steve Van Horn on that logging side and killed some more.

After seeing it on your video, I've been so regretful about that.

When You see Steve, please tell him I hugely enjoyed meeting him, and have been enjoying watching him work on your Video.

You have some REALLY good sawyers on that.
I've enjoyed watching you as well, you sure do handle a saw well!

I know, Jerry.
I was joking.
Everythings bigger in texas, right?

When I lived in AK I used to harass Texans by telling them " If Alaska was divided in equal halves, Texas would be the 3rd largest state"

Back