Tree felling vids

I nearly went falling with them in Humbolt around 98, slow start that year so I went residential instead

So you have a Professional Timber Falling background? Not to sound snobby, but both occupations have their extreme differences imho. I feel proud and lucky to have worked with some of the best Timber Fallers in the country, in some of the most glorious environments. I have known a lot of good Timber Fallers from your neck of the woods.

Not full time. I did alot of falling on the logging job, helping cutters catch up on weekends etc. I was going to go into columbia as an apprentice due to the nature of redwood. Most of my cutting was in Siskiyou and Shasta counties. Did you know the Leeper boys in Humboldt? They were my hook into Columbia

Don't recall any Leeper boys. But Columbia is a big outfit, and usually had several different sides going at once in Humboldt. I was on Reavis' crew, while a lot of other crews would come and go, we were pretty much based there the whole time. It was four years of feast or famine when I was there. 2 or 3 Million foot unit would be opened up and they would shove as many fallers, hookers and helicopters as they could in there, then we would be layed off til the next thp was approved.

Here is my Brother from another Mother...Pat. Damn good Timber Faller...and a helluva character as you will see...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2x7MXn5zuEw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2x7MXn5zuEw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

That dog is as big of a character as he is. That dog and a dog that my Dad had are the only two I have ever seen that will look at the faller and then look up at the top of the tree...just like a faller would. My Dad's dog always knew where to be, unlike some dogs I have been around whilst falling timber.

Ha, that is pretty cool. I guess I used to be the dog. I packed gas and oil around for my buddies dad in my teens

I was packing my Dad's jugs just outta diapers...well not quite :) I do remember being six years old and hangin on to Dad's 2100 with him while he fell a nice Spruce...ruined me for life.

That dog is as big of a character as he is. That dog and a dog that my Dad had are the only two I have ever seen that will look at the faller and then look up at the top of the tree...just like a faller would. My Dad's dog always knew where to be, unlike some dogs I have been around whilst falling timber.
That's what was most remarkable about that vid.. dog looked like he was totally ready, watching for falling debris, in tune with the process, Perfect! ... obviously the cutting was first rate too!

Yessir he is good at what he does. Bushelin is how we rolled most of our careers...well at least me...he is still falling timber.

What I liked about that vid was that you could see all the key points being attended to in smooth quick motion.....the face, checks the gun with a glance, the back cut lined up to the face the way he wanted, all done without any hesitation as the work progresses, even had time to smile at the camera. That would be professional efficiency.

Yessir, I know about you. I own Fundamentals, and high climbers and timber fallers...I also own your working climber dvds. I think it is awesome that you are on this forum. I really enojoy the stories in High Climbers and Timber Fallers. I spent most of my 4 year tenure living in Rio Dell and Fortuna, but spent about a month down in Fort Bragg. We were working on a job for CDF where I busted my leg really bad and had to spend 5 days in the Willits hospital. Your right about how it gets in your blood. If I did not have a family I am sure that I would still be trampin around on the coast looking for that ever elusive, bigger pickle patch :)

Damn you guys and your stories about big timber! It makes me want to ditch the girl and everything else to go flop some timber on the coast. Alas a daydream of a cheesehead.

With every passing day it turns into more of a "dream". I feel lucky to have experienced what I did for as young as I still am, but it was nothing compared to some of the guys of Jerry's era in a coastal environment. I would love to go back a hundred or so years in time with my big saws, tree jacks and chisel chain grinder! Hopefully they will soon find another planet that is covered with Old growth so dense that it is uninhabitable...til they send me there to open it up for habitation :) There I go day dreaming again...

Back