Tree felling vids

I thought it was a fun vid to watch. But I'm very glad to see others comment about wrapping his thumbs around the saw and the Big tops he was sending close to buildings. His boring cuts were OK. But its faster and easier to reach around and saw off your far side then near side holding wood. Then rip the remaining back off it.

Ahhh... You're right Daniel. Always a lot easier to criticize from the armchair. Maybe Ida done the same thing. Except for the pigsty thing. I hear Butch loud and clear about the brush mattress for chunks, but it didn't seem like he was doing that. Always wasted effort for the ground guys when you've got brush slammed on brush just because you want to sit up there and torch off limbs while they grunt like pigs trying to extract an armload.
Its interesting to see how equipment changes everything..
crane makes everything go up.. different paradigm..
skid steer and monster chipper do the same to clean up.. leave the pieces as big as you can and make huge piles for less trips to the chipper.. climber can generally bomb away without a second thought about cleaning up the mess... you need a big pile to cushion the fall? Skid steer will stack it 10' tall in the drive...

Quite so. Quite so. And the shop I work for almost PRIDES itself on being an equipment Ghetto. "Why buy the boys SRT gear, if a taught-line hitch is cheaper?" "Why get em all blocks and portys, if they can just wrap the tree?"..... You know: that sort of thing. Funny though: we've got a sweet articulating tractor with a grapple called a Swinger, but we really only use it to load logs. Tends to tear up the yard, and we're too lazy to punk plywood around. I'm thinkin a skid steer wld be sweet.

Quite so. Quite so. And the shop I work for almost PRIDES itself on being an equipment Ghetto. "Why buy the boys SRT gear, if a taught-line hitch is cheaper?" "Why get em all blocks and portys, if they can just wrap the tree?"..... You know: that sort of thing. Funny though: we've got a sweet articulating tractor with a grapple called a Swinger, but we really only use it to load logs. Tends to tear up the yard, and we're too lazy to punk plywood around. I'm thinkin a skid steer wld be sweet.
My neighbor is mostly a landscaper, but used to climb and has a 45' bucket truck.. seem him do some decent sized trees.. last one I rode by saw him taking natural wraps.. I didn't think anyone did that anymore.. I"ll try to lend him a porty sometime... its just amazing that people are still working like that... would be like going to an telemarketing office and see them using dial up telephones..

The guy I'm climbing for is a G.C. Dirt guy. Big on heavy equipment and lots of fancy pickups and trailers. . But. I was talking to him about riggin lines and porta wraps. He came up with a spool of non rated 3 strand poly propylene and something he had laying around the shop. And it wasn't a Porta wrap. . I asked for a CMI 3/4" riggin block. He got me a tweaked Sherman Riley.

Had to fall this grey pine "just to the right of those red stakes" that the home owner put there.... anywhere else would have hit leach lines from 3 different homes, the area was scatterd with them :pottytrain2: Brian helped me get a tensioned tag line up high in the pine so to be as precise as we can

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8dC_SNTaAiY?list=PLRe5B7qOT7NBRjq92Iio6yS0XvoIwAVuq" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dead on, killed it, but dont ask me to do that again!! lol

My neighbor is mostly a landscaper, but used to climb and has a 45' bucket truck.. seem him do some decent sized trees.. last one I rode by saw him taking natural wraps.. I didn't think anyone did that anymore.. I"ll try to lend him a porty sometime... its just amazing that people are still working like that... would be like going to an telemarketing office and see them using dial up telephones..

Who is your neighbor?

Here's a short video of a dead pine I took out this morning. I had to fold it as there was not enough room to throw it, and it was too far gone to climb to the top.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SUcx-trzBRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dang grey pines are a PITA with weight all over the place and umteen ways of lean in a single stem.
Well done!

CV, yes, alot diff than a ponderosa pine with even weight...man them greys got big fat branches, oh, and most are leaners as well ](*,)

Back