Tree felling vids

broof-you-got-lucky_design.png

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bZUsYs1XmRA?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bZUsYs1XmRA?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here's another reminiscence..
its actually a lot easier to clean up with the mess in the street..

I should have known we were talking about falling 80'+ trees at the powerlines with only inches to spare. I am not that good guys, I will say that all day.

Anyone who can estimate the height of a 80'+ (960") tree to within inches must be some kinda pro. Anyone that flops said tree at a powerline where if that 960"+ estimate is short by 6" they just lost $10k knocking down a primary is a moron.

I always put a stick out when I am flopping a tree, we actually make a little betting game of it usually...But we are betting with pride and bragging rights, not life and property. :?

So Murphy, you must have a thick fuggin skull. I asked you a direct question based on your statement. Answer it. I asked you a question because I am curious to know. Do you have an answer or another dumb video? On a different note, you still have that crack addict running the ropes for you?

even if you are good at calling the length of the fall on the ground, the clearance at 15' may not be so easy.. in retrospect the times I have brushed the wires have been by accident... I was looking for another example found this instead... has wires..

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4g0IxZL7xwo?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4g0IxZL7xwo?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

It's been a while since I've watched that one... nice Murph.

Tucker, sometimes you chance it and sometimes you don't, it depends on the situation. A little slap on the wires is no biggie.

Until it is a biggie! Taking chances is part of the job, but when it comes to power, I prefer to hedge my bets. That said, I've dumped the top of a pine that I misjudged by literally 6" and damn near tore out a service drop to a house...bent the mast and loosened the waterproofing coming into the cabin. Luckily the HO was building a new house so it didn't much matter, but it is certainly something I wouldn't want to make a habit outta.

I prefer a little more clearance myself....and I found the undercut on that poplar a little deep for my taste...well past half way. Decent hinge and all that, and they did have two ropes, but seems a little deep for my taste. I likely would not have rigged that big dead tree out without a crane, there was plenty of room and it would likely have saved$ on the job. I've worked on poplar plenty. The thing I didn't like about the rigging was that it seemed as though they either didn't account or care for the reality that the limbs were going to break up after being cut once the load was applied to the rigging. If you watch closely, there are many smaller, broken pieces contacting the house (which didn't exactly look like an inexpensive build).

My .02, I wouldn't hire those guys.

It's been a while since I've watched that one... nice Murph.

Tucker, sometimes you chance it and sometimes you don't, it depends on the situation. A little slap on the wires is no biggie.

A slap on the primary is always a biggie. Ive done it, not on purpose, but I can tell you a silly little story about a slap on the primary and me in the hospital years ago. There is NO reason to touch your work to a primary line. especially to the point the line is slapping and rocking the poles.

Until it is a biggie! Taking chances is part of the job, but when it comes to power, I prefer to hedge my bets. That said, I've dumped the top of a pine that I misjudged by literally 6" and damn near tore out a service drop to a house...bent the mast and loosened the waterproofing coming into the cabin. Luckily the HO was building a new house so it didn't much matter, but it is certainly something I wouldn't want to make a habit outta.

A slap on the primary is always a biggie. Ive done it, not on purpose, but I can tell you a silly little story about a slap on the primary and me in the hospital years ago. There is NO reason to touch your work to a primary line. especially to the point the line is slapping and rocking the poles.

I prefer a little more clearance myself....and I found the undercut on that poplar a little deep for my taste...well past half way. Decent hinge and all that, and they did have two ropes, but seems a little deep for my taste. I likely would not have rigged that big dead tree out without a crane, there was plenty of room and it would likely have saved$ on the job. I've worked on poplar plenty. The thing I didn't like about the rigging was that it seemed as though they either didn't account or care for the reality that the limbs were going to break up after being cut once the load was applied to the rigging. If you watch closely, there are many smaller, broken pieces contacting the house (which didn't exactly look like an inexpensive build).

My .02, I wouldn't hire those guys.

:thumbup:

I recall one job where after a very careful assessment and conclusion that the tree wasn't going to hit the wires, it hit the wires. Lucky though, amazingly nothing snapped. All the cooking shows on TV at that hour of the day, some of the farmers probably wouldn't have gotten their dinners. :X

from my own experience I've found that if I look at something from too many angles that my final assumption is not as accurate as my first impression. Go figure.

I agree,
Second guessing your gut ain't always a good thing.....;)
(still lookin' for that "like" button :?)

I agree with Gerry. The more I study it, the more I convince myself out of doing it. When dumping a tree out, 98% of the time, my first instinct is truly the one that will work.

Wow, talk about being blind sided. A shoe commercial, really?!? Never would have thought a shoe company would put that much time and effort(and great quality video!)into a commercial. Well done. ;)

Nick,
I like that video. A lot of "feeling" went into making it, seemed to be very heartfelt. :)

Back