Tree felling vids

me neither, but I have seen big ones leaning on houses that were tip heavy, hanging over the peak of the roof.. When they go, they come back and down... they tend to hesitate enough to let you get out of there, and then hit and dig in as well........ not too bad if you're expecting it, you can angle the cut away from you, but otherwise, very dangerous...

I tell my aprentices that when they use a tree to hammer another one down with, don't wait around to see if it works, just get the hell out of Dodge.
We do it a lot on hung up hardwoods, unless we have a skidder handy. In the more populated state forests around here, they have a rule about not leaving hung up trees over the weekend, so we have to get them on the ground, one way or another.

Plan your escape route so you get another tree between yourself and the path your hammer tree will take as it slides down the length of the hung up one.

Pretty hazardous layout. Lot of bad trees. all fire scar I suspect from the looks of it. Two good things, no underbrush to hamper your escape and fair ground to run.

Nice vids. Keep'em coming.

Some of those trees are bo-nasty rotten. Good to see your work.
Thanks man :) That's why I was cutting them down.
Dang! That log sure (in the second video) sure jumped away from the stump!!!

Gravity mostly...here is one that I jumped across the fire line...again gravity did most the work, but I threw in a couple of techniques to help it some more.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-74ozqbDwN8?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-74ozqbDwN8?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Pretty hazardous layout. Lot of bad trees. all fire scar I suspect from the looks of it. Two good things, no underbrush to hamper your escape and fair ground to run.

Nice vids. Keep'em coming.

Thanks Jerry :) I wish I would have had a helmet cam when I was falling timber full time...I am having fun for sure.

Oh it's blast when you get home and edit it all out. I really enjoyed it back when. I started using a helmet cam in 03. It was kind of funky though. all analog with too many cables and connections. It always seemed some connection was going foul. and when I'd get home only to see blank video. I'd have to trace it out and repair. that was pretty regular.

The new helmet cams have eliminated all the cables and problems that come with them. More better today for sure.

I have some video where I did not realize that my mount had rotated up a little more, so you can't really see my power saw while I am sawing...was kinda bummed when I discovered that. I might have to take my lap top with me on the next fire to discover that chit sooner!

Exactly...the only bucking we did was if anything was across any of the fire lines, which is why I tried like hell not to put anything across the line :)

That does look like fun, Cody.
Also like a good way to kill a rookie.

How are you paid, by the hour or the acre cleared?

We were daybaggin :) (paid by the day) Most of my timber cutting career I busheled (paid by the thousand bd. ft.).

Which is the way to go IMO!
Only way I roll. I'd hate to be paid the same wage as the fat, lazy guy in the next strip.

Exactly! But I had to swallow my pride on the fires this Summer...the day wage was too good to pass up :)

Notice you don't check the face on many of those humboldtds to make sure they're clean... Are you that good to just know that they're perfect, or do you figure they're good enough to get the job done, even if they're not perfectly clean?

Thanks man :)
Gravity mostly...here is one that I jumped across the fire line...again gravity did most the work, but I threw in a couple of techniques to help it some more.

Nice! you got some good videos.. lots of cool tricks to pick up... loved how you used the plunge to gut the hinge and set the height of the back cut..
Tough to tell from the vid with all the dust, but that tree looked like it jumped a long way... once the butt hits ground, does the tree's momentum continue to drag it forward? and does the way it hits other trees effect the forward momentum? I just didn't think you could throw them that far from the ground.. trying to figure it out.. thanks..

Back