Tree felling vids

The wonder of it all is that you (Murph) want to take a teacher's stance to begin with. Most guys on here invite critique, but aren't putting out ads asking for a personal trainer. Why do you WANT to teach Stig, Brian, or anyone else here ANYTHING? Why not show your skill quietly and humbly, and then enjoy the compliments if you receive any?

That's hilarious coming from the guy that claimed "your cut" was different than "murphy's step cut", becasue you make backcut above the plunge...
That cut was first demonstrated in this video... There was quite a bit of discussion here about it... I had to splain it to everyone... then you use the same cut, except you put the back cut in higher (which makes no sense), call it yours, and bitch at me for wanting to "teach" people... LOL

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r17mKsfM-jQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I said that in jest, mainly. I think a review of my posts will find that I try to be civil in every post I make, regardless of subject, or how strongly I feel about it.

You do come across as one who wants to be revered for your great knowledge and skill. Most of us had to learn this trade and its associated tricks and whatnot. You are the only one I can think of who acts as though they were born with this vast knowledge. I have heard/read where you mention "Big John", whoever that is. If he was your mentor, then you obviously are in the same boat of the rest of us who had to learn. I seem to recall your mentioning that you weren't too good at filing a chain? That didn't come with the rest of your instinct?

In no way whatsoever did I take a teacher's stance in the post you quoted of mine. I simply told how I did it. I did not "name" it, patent it, take pictures of it, or even draw up a blueprint of it. It was what it was. And it worked. As to whether it makes any sense to you to make the back cut higher, I couldn't care less. I was the one standing on the side of that back-leaning pine, and it was my life/well-being I was concerned about. I wanted a good deal of fiber holding until I pulled it over. It performed just as I wanted it to.

Furthermore, I just read your post (#30) in the "Tension Released Felling Cut" thread, (https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?15771-Tension-Released-Felling-Cut/page3), and your reason cited for cutting below the plunge was so that you had less cutting to do to flush the stump. My reason was that I was cutting 15' to 20' up a pine tree, and I wanted the extra measure of safety that the extra wood fibers gave me, along with a double-stpe of stump shot, should the top react with other trees as it went over, seeing as how there was a carport 4' behind the tree. In the case of cutting at ground level, I might cut lower as well. I had no interest (or need) to go back up that pine stub to flush it off, hence the lower back cut would have helped me none at all.:D

Scott, honestly, is he worth spending time on?

Yes, I know, sometimes I can't help myself either.

And as for the first part of your post, I totally agree.

The two of us are as different as people can be, but still always manage to have, fun, civilized discussions.

A trademark of the House:)

Stig, do you have any videos up? I have seen the ones on your business page, the link for which I have since lost. I always like reading you, it would be cool to see some more videos.

Nope, not a single one.
I take the occasional picture, but video is beyond me.
Maybe sometime I'll get an apprentice who is into that.

Untill then I will be looking forward to it. You should make some fundamentals videos. 5-10 minutes of scripting and a cell phone camera and you could put some of the basics of solid saw work down on tape. Companies like Expert Village make a pretty penny teaching DIY types how to do trade tasks..

I just uploaded a couple of short vids to youtube of two pines I cut last week. They're not up yet. I'll go back and delete one, as I combined them to make one video.

Now that I've sort of figured I-Movie out, I can upload some footage off my helmet cam. Computer literate/competent I am NOT.

You do come across as one who wants to be revered for your great knowledge and skill. Most of us had to learn this trade and its associated tricks and whatnot. You are the only one I can think of who acts as though they were born with this vast knowledge. I have heard/read where you mention "Big John", whoever that is. If he was your mentor, then you obviously are in the same boat of the rest of us who had to learn. I seem to recall your mentioning that you weren't too good at filing a chain? That didn't come with the rest of your instinct?:D

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who benefits from the very technique that I provide and then criticizes me for the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just say thank you!. LOL

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hopNAI8Pefg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've worked around lots of technicians during my life, people very schooled in traditional skills and no doubt there were adaptations that they devised themselves....and on three continents. I think I may have come up with one or two myself. By far, although folks are generally happy to share the methods out of a mutual respect for people in the same trade, I have a hard time recalling where anyone seemed to feel the need to brag about their shit. Realizing that the work in general is a lot bigger than any one person, the persistent challenges no matter how good you may think that you are, and the thought that a craftsman is just one member in a long line of those that have come before that have done some fine things and reason to be thankful for what they have given, it seems to give people the inclination to be rather humble about the whole deal. People who aren't like that, more want to revel in their accomplishments, my observation is that there has been a missed step along the way, or they are still without the broader expertise. Experience generally teaches humility, or it is supposed to. I can think of another word for humility, namely "wisdom". There are even a few folks that have the right to brag, but they still don't. People usually know inside what they have really got, after a time.

Poor, poor, misunderstood Murphy. If only the most revered and respected treemen in the world could understand your advanced techniques.

BWAAAAHAHAHA! I almost said that with a straight face! :lol:

There is a difference between bragging and "correcting" a bunch of critiques that are criticizing methods well beyond their understanding..
---meaning it's hard explain to idiots that are bound and determined that Murph cannot undo the laws of physics----not to mention gravity .:big-not-worthy:

"Never argue with stupid people, they bring you to their level and beat you with experience.". Mark Twain

I do believe this fits. Murph, take it anyway you choose. I have in no thread here or on any other tree related site read where you are civil about any comment made about your posts. I always read BS this and BS that. "You're wrong and I am right." when you become a respectable gentleman you may find less argumentative people. Reap what you sow.

Ya'll need to STFU!

admin1.gif

Here ya go... a couple big trees coming down from early May... 115' white oaks, dead, one close enough to get the house...
Its pretty straightforward falling technique, other than the shear size and weight with significant back lean.. If you watch closely, you can actually see both trees set back just a little, when the back strap is released, even with two pull lines, pre-tensioned with trucks..

The first notch really did take 15 cuts LOL.. (no worries, I didn't show them all) Stig wouldn't approve... but you gotta get off your high horse and recognize there are big differences in the work that we do.. I made three falling cuts on the day the work was done. When there's a $3,000,000 house, within the potential DZ, I take my time cutting the notch. A few extra minutes x3/day, is no big deal compared to the time saved, that falling that tree saves, instead of rigging. You make 100 falling cuts a day, so saving a few seconds on each cut really adds up.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TIz5Orr0QaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back