Tree felling vids

Bring your frost breaking bar. The ground is a little "hard" this time of year in places. :P

Fair point, for sure Wally.

Blah, blah, blah..................the whole world isn't the PNW, Sean.

Come work with me a season in the woods here, making stumps the required way and then sing your praises for full wrap.

Same goes with the big dogs.
I bought a pair, tried them and found them to be TOTALLY worthless when cutting smooth barked hardwoods close to the ground.
Ended up giving them to a fellow treehouser.

I know Stig knows what he's about, I have absolutely no argument with his choice of tools for his job. Though my point was directed more to arb work. Not even Stig's low stump standards have to be as low as most alap specs, I think anyway. And arbs don't drop even a small percentage of the number on a per day basis as full on logging generates, so the amount of effort to get a full wrap handle down in the dirt is much lower per day than it might be for someone like Stig.

Pete, you said it best, really. A mix of tools to meet the demands of both types of work is wise.

Same goes with the big dogs.
I bought a pair, tried them and found them to be TOTALLY worthless when cutting smooth barked hardwoods close to the ground.
Ended up giving them to a fellow treehouser.

Is it because the smaller dogs have more teeth and therefore grip into the smooth-bark species better? I'm failing to understand how it could make any difference. (Not unusual for me.)

I'd LOVE to pound wedges for you some season, Stig... I'd take Grendel up with me, and we'd go find Hrothgar and the rest of the Spear-Danes and teach them what-for!

I choose my kit for the job. 2x 44's one with short bar & little dogs for the woods & the other bigger bar & felling dogs for Arb work. Same with my 2x 66's - one with a wrap handle. Too many people put themselves into a single camp & loose the ability to be flexible

That's why I'd prefer to find another 70cc+ saw. I'd love to double my saw quiver and have one for every occasion, but I'm just not there yet. I currently have 3, not exactly what one would consider a plethora.
As far as the dogs, I've never had an issue with them grabbing in thin bark, but I have had several times where the stock dogs (single sided) just weren't in position to grab when I wanted them to. The larger dogs (on both sides of the bar) have been fantastic.

Why not try stock dogs on each side? Then you are good to go.

I had not thought of trying a pair of stockers. Several times I had the case hitting the tree and preventing the stock dogs from getting a bite so I went right to a pair of larger ones. A pair of stock size dogs would probably work pretty well MOST of the time, but those few times they didn't would drive me nuts. I have not wished for smaller dogs since I put them on, but may times I have been glad for them.

I wish the clutch cover on my echo 450P had a spot to mount an outer dog on it. Little features like that make me lean more toward stihl pro saws for future additions.

Cory asks a good question. I can't imagine any saw other than a little top handle without a pair of dogs.

Dogs are important on top-handles, too...

192t
s-l300.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xX9Xj0faq3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
around 6:00, you can see no dogs

Sure they are, Sean...never would I say any differently. But not a double set (not even an option, to the best of my knowledge with 200T, 201T, etc.) which was my point, if you read my post close enough.

I'm such a jackass that I actually modded bigger dogs for my top-handle, because I'm such a logger. :lol:

Darn thing came down when I was swinging from a toping cut and busted a hole clean though the skin of my left calf. :tard:

That was the end of that. :lol::|:

I've thought once or twice that a slightly larger dog on my climber would be nice, but I find I am often struggling for bar length on that one as it is. The teeth on the echo 355T are quite cute compared to the ones on my 461.

I'm guilty of skimming through stuff, often checking in on new posts frequently, while doing various other things online and at the computer.

A lot of folks don't realize that dogs are available for a 192t.

around 6:00, you can see no dogs

That method of pulp falling would be impossible with dogs, as it relies heavily on being able to slide the body of the saw along the stem.

The tiny amount of time spent notching, back cutting and bucking where not having dogs can be a disadvantage is negated by the advantages gained while snedding.

Plus having a razor sharp chain helps.

It is the way catholics run dog sleds.

Sledding and kneeling at the same time.

Muslims do it the same way.
But only if the sled is pointing towards mekka.

British for the 6 point limbing method!

:lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qGDNxZTT3oo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those having trouble alaping their stumps with wrap handlebars the answer is simple. You're alapping to low. I never had an issue with it, in fact I found it a saviour. When the customer is looking to get their one or two inches of stump cut lower down into the nastiness that always makes up the base of a tree I'd say nope can't do it. Then I'd show them, see the handlebar is in the way.

You can huff, puff, and blow all the dirt away but the bottom couple inches of a tree is still full of it. Grown right into the grain. Alapping stumps to ground level is a waste of time and a waste of chain.

As for dogs? I'll let the bigdogs sort that one for themselves.

Back