Tree felling vids

FireFighterZero,

That job was one of the most difficult I've ever done. We had less than 4 feet of room to work on the back side of that house. There was no room to drop the limbs after they were cut loose from the trees. To overcome this, we decided to take large sections at a time, then stand on the roof to dismantle the tops, piece by piece, as we slowly lowered it.

We had to be very careful not to remove too much weight from the bottom of the now horizontal limb, because we didn't want it to roll over. Just two feet below the roof line was the lady's picture window. We took small pieces off the bottom, then lowered it to remove pieces and weight from the top, working hard to maintain balance and to eliminate any roll. Back and forth we went, until we were left with nothing but a bare limb, which we could then lower into that narrow space below. The spider leg came in very handy for that job. It allowed us to keep the limbs horizontal as weight was slowly removed.

The homeowner stopped by to inspect his home after we finished the job. Not one bit of damage to the house. Not one broken shingle...not a scuff on the paint. I'm very pleased with the result.

I don't normally take such large pieces at a time, but in this case the climber was going to be hanging in the tree for hours while the limbs were being cut up for removal. We decided that it would be far more efficient if the climber would take part in the ground work....well....roof work.....to help speed up the process.

Joel

Joel, if you can't let it run, you can use as much rope as possible in the system in to absorb energy. This will stretch more rope length in the system, reducing the high peak forces on a shorter segment of the rope, increasing the cycles to failure. I don't know how much room you had below to work with. Pulling, and letting the piece drag the tractor back, and using the brake to let it decelerate might work for you as well.

Hard to see the many variable you had to work around. Are you saying you only had 4' from hanging, rigged piece, and the roof?

Sean,

You're right on every aspect.

We used two rigging blocks in the system, along with about 160 feet of rope. One rigging pulley was placed at the base of the neighboring tree. The other was installed above the crotch of the neighboring tree....to allow for the greatest height we could possibly get. The roped traveled from the top being removed, over to the rigging pulley high in the neighboring tree, then down to another block at the base of the tree, then over to my tractor....on which we attached the portawrap on the drawbar. The tractor did the lifting and lowering for us as we worked to dismantle the tree top, piece by piece. The two blocks allowed nearly all of the forces to be applied to the entire length of rope.

We had just under 4 feet remaining between the removed top and the roof. Had the neighboring tree been just a couple of feet further away, we'd have tackled this job entirely differently.

The first two days on this job were spent limbing to remove anything and everything that could cause the tops to hang up. Day 3 was very productive, during which we removed 8 of the 11 tops in the same fashion as seen in the video.

To save time on this job, two climbing lines were involved. Only one climbing line was in service at any time. The second climbing line was installed early in the morning, prior to work, to reduce the amount of time we'd need to set new tie-in-points as work progressed from tree to tree.

Shooting a throw bag over a house causes me a bit of anxiety. I was worried about putting out a window. A quick hand to catch the throw line as soon as the bag goes over the limb was something I soon got pretty good at. We had a few misses, but luckily the throw bag landed either in middle of the yard, or on the roof. My little sidekick rope retriever (another treestuff item) came in handy on this job. We used it at least 50 times on this project. It's now one of my favorite little tools.

Joel

InbredJed,

It was a ton a work and a HUGE job. I later found out that three other tree companies were asked to submit bids for this job, but all of them declined. Two of them didn't have any climbers employed and their bucket trucks wouldn't fit into the tight space. Another company declined due to a lack of manpower.

The homeowner is now considering having me do some additional work, maybe next year. He's already spent his allocated funds for this year!

Joel

Yeah the audio pick up was great!! That and not another sound for miles,kinda sounds light lightning imo lol. There were solar panels a garden and a generator near ,it had to fall a certain direction.

Something new Ive been working on. 90 % discount to Housers, of course.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/An3o2ZPStSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My foreman came in this morning and was talking about Reg. He was totally put off of Reg by all this talk of sueing everyone and what a dumb idea this was. I was dying when I broke the news that it was a gag. Now he's walking around saying he hates Reg cause he fell hook, line and sinker!

Tell him to let the hate go Willy....it'll do him no good. And if any consolation he wasn't the only 'sucker' who didn't see through it. At least, there was one other that I know of :D

My foreman came in this morning and was talking about Reg. He was totally put off of Reg by all this talk of sueing everyone and what a dumb idea this was. I was dying when I broke the news that it was a gag. Now he's walking around saying he hates Reg cause he fell hook, line and sinker!

And I've been waiting anxiously for the arborella! What are you guys gonna tell me next? The tooth fairy ain't real?

I know, I texted him the double biner from tree stuff and said I ordered a couple. He got wound up about that too. I love to prank

Back