Tree felling vids

Back to the harvesters. Most of the ground in my neck of the woods is too steep for them, and there is still plenty of hand falling going on here, but the ground that makes it so is a bane on a faller.

My employee of four years who left is a faller on our coast now. Just visited with him last night. His biggest yet have been a 9x12 cedar and a 11x11 cedar. 3-5' fir all day long. He had the pics on his phone. There are countless handfaller cutting wood like that still all over our province day in and day out.

That's good. Here, too...but 10-15 years ago the harvesters were limited to working on slopes under 30 percent or so, but now, with leveling cabs and other advances in technology, it's getting up near 50 percent. That's a chunk of ground to lose, as a cutter.

My employee of four years who left is a faller on our coast now. Just visited with him last night. His biggest yet have been a 9x12 cedar and a 11x11 cedar. 3-5' fir all day long. He had the pics on his phone. There are countless handfaller cutting wood like that still all over our province day in and day out.

It's amazing to me there are still so many big trees ready for cutting, day in day out.

They do keep growing, you know that, right? :) I've got some here on my acreage that I planted myself that are over 24 inches dbh...I'm old, but not THAT old :). I have a few that 34 years ago when I bought this place were 24 inches dbh, that today are over twice that.

They do grow, that's for sure.

I was going to ask about planting schemes, I saw a film about Mount St. Helens when some tree planters were killed.
They were just randomly sticking them in the ground.
How's it work there?
Here they put them in neat rows.

One problem about living in a flat country.
It makes for easy logging, but the damned harvesters can go anywhere.

I was going to ask about planting schemes, I saw a film about Mount St. Helens when some tree planters were killed.
They were just randomly sticking them in the ground.
How's it work there?
Here they put them in neat rows.

It's not random, it just looks that way in the final product. In fact, it's highly structured. You cannot plant neat rows by hand on land that is rough, often steep, and always of mixed plantability due to soil conditions and slash left behind in the harvest operation. The specification will be for a desired target spacing, say 8'x8', or 10'x10'...whatever the forester finds meets the desired stocking level, less expected mortality.

To get that, you have a crew of 8, 10, or 12 planters moving across the unit, each following the planted line of the one ahead, doing his best to space his trees off the ones his lead has planted. The irregularity of the plantability of the ground leaves the line highly irregular, and to match the intended spacing, each planter has to vary his spacing to accommodate, either closer or wider than spec, the planting spots he follows to help hit the average intended spacing. This is a highly skilled job, and must be done both very quickly and to a very high degree of quality in how each individual seedling is planted.

Is tree planting a hard job to fill out there?

Thanks burnham, is the apparent randomness also guarding against wind blow?

No, it's all in search of plantable spots, the random spacing is completely a result of that...although some contracts are written with a specification for "micrositing", which means choosing planting spots that offer some shade if that is possible, which also generates a random pattern, too. Not often called for here in my wet and generally cool part of the country, but down CursedVoyce's way for example, it's not unusual.

Once in a rare while in my work in reforestation I've seen a unit with extremely high natural plantability come out so you could sort of see curving parallel rows, but that's unusual in the extreme in this part of the world.

Is tree planting a hard job to fill out there?

No...but almost exclusively it's done by immigrant labor, since the mid 1980's actually. As a contract inspector and COR, I was glad to see the drunks and druggies that made up white crews before that go...the Mexicans worked harder and got more trees planted, produced far better quality planting, and virtually never argued when I asked for anything to be done to my requirements.

I'll forever be impressed with the work ethic I've seen over and over in that community.

I'm sure at least some of you have seen this, thought I'd put it up since the subject was recently brought up.....impressive. :thumbup::)

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=911541548871387" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=911541548871387">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/haberaycom">Haber Ay</a>.</div></div>

No...but almost exclusively it's done by immigrant labor, since the mid 1980's actually. As a contract inspector and COR, I was glad to see the drunks and druggies that made up white crews before that go...the Mexicans worked harder and got more trees planted, produced far better quality planting, and virtually never argued when I asked for anything to be done to my requirements.

I'll forever be impressed with the work ethic I've seen over and over in that community.

Very cool info!

Most bunchers/processors that are really big the cab flips forward/down for transport so they're not over height on a low bed but most need a pilot car/truck for over width. Smaller ones transport on a low bed no problemo. Check the background of this pic. Big iron and logging trucks roll by my place all the time. image.jpg

20141109_130230.jpg this fell between the poles is dedicated to all the people on the treehouse that gave me advice. I call it . Threading the needle. Lol

Ty bud. Yea I was bout a foot off almost was perfect. Its def. Not a reg or august sniper felling shot.

Back