Trail Crew USFS Internship Photos

top_notch

Treehouser
Fish Creek Falls
CIMG0248.JPG

Cut the tree and as i predicted, and nobody else on my crew believed, the stump fell right back into the hole. Made a two cut job into a one cut job.8)
CIMG0558.JPG

Home for the Evening
CIMG0554.JPG

Burn Scar
CIMG0550.JPG

Crosscut and Wedge
CIMG0549.JPG

Black Bear Print
CIMG0548.JPG

Peruvian Sheep Herder Tree Art (very sacred):lol::lol::lol:
CIMG0527.JPG

Inside California Park Guard Shack
CIMG0514.JPG

Outside California Park Guard Shack
CIMG0521.JPG

Do Not Eat
CIMG0512.JPG

Combi (great for digging out water-bars on the trail)
CIMG0503.JPG

Once in a lifetime kill for this hunter (only two permits issued for our region per season)
CIMG0492.JPG

Sheep Guard Dog
CIMG0484.JPG

Beetle Kill!!!
CIMG0480.JPG

Snow in the Distance
CIMG0566.JPG

Great pictures!
That sheepdog looks like a lightweight version of my Sam.
Where in California was this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought you had dogs similar to that one. Your right about the weight of the dog, unfortunately they usually look pretty slim, however they are working round the clock. The photo is actually in Colorado about two hours NW of Steamboat Springs where I live. California Park is in Routt National Forest, Hahns Peak Bears Ears District.

I wonder how I got it mixed up with California.
I was thinking it was somewhere on the eastern side of the Sierras.

Yup, I hear ya. I'm not sure why they named it that. Perhaps because it looks like California around there. Who knows!?!

Most of the time it seems like vacation. It feels really good to know that I'm getting paid to be hiking in the wilderness, but on the fourth day out, working sun up to sun down, cutting about the hundredth tree with the cross cut saw, the couch at home is calling my name LOUD!!! I do feel very fortunate to have this job though. And yes, we do work hard.

Why does the ram (?) have a tag in its ear?

I think that is the tag that the hunter gets. It didn't have the tag until it was dead. Around here you can only win one ram tag in your lifetime. The guy and his wife was grinning ear to ear.

Looks more like a fish and game tag than a hunting tag.

Probably wilderness Brendan

I'm sorry, bit misinformed. But why only the cross cut saw?

No worries, sorry myself if that post seemed a little bit heated. Sotc is right, the section of trail we were working was in the wilderness which = no chainsaw, no wheelbarrow, no bicycle, no technology. Its awesome and sucky at the same time. There are some trails which I would love to be able to ride my bike on, but its prohibited. But you can take horses and pack animals to get stuff around, unfortunately we didn't have that luxury on this trip. There is a crew in our district that rides horses though...talk about a sweet job!!!

Very nice. That makes me miss my days on the wilderness trail crew in the Naches Ranger Dist. here in WA.

Back