Timber Framing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hahahha na $90. I understand it won't fit. I walked by and was like whoa. Been looking for you all year. I've got my firewood done so I'm getting closer to shaving wood.

How smooth is the back side of the cutting edge? If it's really nice, then it's a $150 or better. If it's a little bit pitted, then it's still a $120 slick.

I've never heard of that company. My PS&W slicks are both marked No.1 EX. Must have been a classification of some kind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is something before hamilton. I cant make it out as it looks like their stamp didnt push in enough.

Good find, Brendon. If you have a chisel where the back is lightly pitted or not flat, using lapping compound and a flat steel plate will get it looking pristine again. You could also do it on a stone, but the plate stays flat and the compound will cut faster. There are different grits of compound, and they will bring a pristine surface as they break down and polish. Most chisels or plane irons aren't truly flat to begin with, it is good to lap them.

This thread is in need of updating, even if only to post a boring picture of an old timber.:lol: I've finally gotten a chance to start on one of my small sheds that I have to build. It's brutal (by New England standards :P ) in the midday sun, so I hide in the garage with the fan blowing.:/: I've got most of my junk pushed to the outside of the garage. Looks sort of like it's been centrifuged.

IMG_20150508_134536101.jpg

This is one of the roof beams, roof has a 25% grade so I figured the easiest way to achieve this is cut a 25% angle on top of the beam
2.jpg

This is our progress so far...

1.jpg

Back