Timber Framing

And bus loads of people (men) that had gotten out and were lined up relieving themselves along the side of the road. Now we have proper highway service areas, with modern toilets and food concessions/restaurants, where you can get a wide range of food, sometimes a bakery in there as well. Some areas, they might have a hot spring bath in there as well, to relieve road stress. People are into long haul driving during certain vacation times of the year. Pretty nuts, because everyone else is on the road as well, so traffic jams in hell, but the culture being do like others, they still go for it. The service areas are pretty cool. Some nicely dressed young ladies there to give information, and free hot or cold tea. Service areas are big business. At some point or another everybody pulls in. Sometimes there is a garden and a place to walk your dog. Makes a nice change from the white lines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I grabbed this nice hammer at the flea last weekend, Dave. Im currently waiting on big al to come in. They tell me like two to three more weeks. Thatll give me time to haul and mill some of those wp logs. I sold the snell last weekend, and got my swan boring effortless 2" holes in oak. Waxed it to, looks and works awesome. Im starting to get excited again...

Oh, i came home after work today and shiplapped 30+ boards both sides. Featherboardless and my back doesnt feel too bad yet! :lol: Board and batten next time!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 42
That's a very nice mallet. I bet those rings are forge welded. Cool. Good to hear the Swan is ready to go. Are you using oak in your frame?

All wp. The logs i cut for my bigger barn I'm going to use for the gibson timer framers plans. So have plenty now. Just need the top plates.

My guess would be that a dead blow hammer is weighted to add force to the strike with it, so limited bounce, where a mallet is simply the weight of the material, usually wood or rubber, that the tool is made from. I don't know if a steel hammer can rightfully be called a mallet.

A dead blow hammer has some sort of moving weight inside of it, like steel or lead shot. A mallet is just a big heavy beater.:lol:

Do you have steel shot inside you?
Old hunting accident, maybe.

I haven't done any timber framing since I finished my barns last August. I owed a friend of mine a favor, and he likes timber framing, so I built him a timber framers workbench. I helped him put up a frame in 2011, you can see it in the background of the pic.

20140712_182410.jpg

This is his frame. I designed the shed addition and the dormer. It's got clapboards and a slate roof on it now.

2011-12-18_13-26-13_87.jpg

I've got a few small sheds that I'm working on now. It's good to be back in the wood, but the heat sucks. I've got to find an AC unit for my garage. I'll spend the $20 a month to keep it cool in there.;)

image.w174h200f3.jpg

Dave. Still loosing sleep over the m&t brace. Rafael offered help but im balls to the wall with work right now and my help is moving in a month so trying to bank up a bunch of $$ so a day off isnt likely.

Is there any rules to follow for a simple let in type brace? Do you have a drawing of a suggestion on size and shape of the let in portion?

I think if you can cut a let in brace accurately, then you can probably cut a full m & t. I can do a full pictorial for you of both the brace, and the post. I will also give some thought to just doing a let in brace and get back to you.

Back