Timber Framing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like I thought the pine job we did he decided to have us chip it. Here today processing those pines for my frame. Here's a nice 22"x12'6". Have my list and checking them off!

That looks like a nice stick! I go a little nutty for nice pine. You will get some great side lumber off of that log when you have the timber milled.

I'll get All but the two 20' ers I need for top plate, and a few 12'6" from this one job. Pretty pumped.

All the lower grade stuff I have aside too. About a dozen 9, ers. I want to stick frame two 200 square foot sheds for the house. Will
Have more than plenty.

What's with the end of that pine log in the pic with the boxer? Looks weird on the end the lines?

Pine up here is considered the least desirable softwood. Fir/larch being the top.

I cut and x in it. The home owner was supposed to clean up himself, so i x'd the logs i didn want him to cut smaller.

I just got this tool and it rocks!! No the cut isn't supposed to be square, its a 5 degree angle.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0nyrJ7oS20k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man I am so rusty at this stuff. I really need to make more time to build stuff.

What's the name of that tool, Paul? Skillsaw makes some good gear. i have burned through both a Makita and Hitachi cross cut saw, but my Skill worm drive is still going strong after more than thirty years cutting hardwood. I even changed the oil in it as a reward.

Cool. I've never seen one of those used before. I'm a hand tool guy, but last year working some oak I made good use of a Husky electric chainsaw.

Jay it is a prazi beam cutter on a skill worm drive. It used to take me 20 - 30 mine to cut a beam of square now if I lay down a square as a guide it takes 30 seconds. Sure is nice having the wheel loader to move stuff around too.

Looks cool Paul. Im getting myself kitted out. Got my boring machine ready, sacrificed a t auger bit for a real nice 2" bit for it. Also have a 1.5". Picked up my tools at my parents. Gotta make a jig to sharpen them again though. Waiting for the layout tool to come in. Again i changed my mind too. Im going to buy plans from gibson timber framers. Add a other bent to make it 36', and. Odify the width to about 16'. Planning a concrete pour to keep the trucks off the dirt/gravel. Bucket truck will live its life to the elements still. New stuff under cover. Sorry cory. :(. Building will be too tall for my sneaky install.

there is a 4" gap between the 2 roofs with a gutter between them, works pretty good unless we get a downpour.

Nice. I figured you had something going on but couldn't make anything out from the pic. I'm envious of you guys that can build things so well.

Without many years...maybe centuries, to have drainage worked out for the heavy rain seasons, you'd be really messed up.

I like the drainage. All year round small creeks and such all over town. Ride around and listen to gurgling water. Mostly little concrete canals right through town. Clean water too, coming down from the mountains as the original source. No cigarette butts. :X

Back