Timber Framing

I have oak (W&R) pine beech poplar ash , think thats it. Wouldn't use beech or poplar again, Ill try to get pics of them to show you why..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That would be cool, thanks Paul. Would like to see other pictures of your frame if you have the camera out. What did you do for a foundation? Are the posts set on concrete, or did you set them on a timber sill, then concrete?

Dave, hope you don't mind questions.

Regarding brace joinery...other than the simple nailing option, and what I'm considering difficult mortise and tenon brace, is there another option in between? Would a simple lap housed in its full dimension be an option?

Ask as many questions as you want! You can lap the braces, but that is more work than a mortise and tenon. The lap portion of the brace will shrink a little, and then it doesn't work as well. I'd make the effort to mortise them over nailing as well. Much stronger.

1.jpg Heres some pics of the beach beam that as you can see has twisted, obviously both ends have done this and have bent the hardware. In retrospect I regret using the hardware, should have used all wood. You can see the poplar beside it checked real bad.

A minor point, but I'll preach.... When you butt wood up against each other, especially pieces that aren't the same dimensions or won't remain flat, if you put a small chamfer around all the visible edges, it looks a bit cleaner, then and later. Maybe natural is a better word for it. Sharp not aligned edges aren't natural, nor discontinuous grain or species. Got to do what you've got to do, but If everything visible has the edges dealt with, the support pieces as well, chamfered or rounded over, the overall cumulative effect adds up and is much softer and warmer. Edges are quite important with woodwork, and not much time required to give a more finished appearance. How you treat the edges adds a lot to the personality of the work. 8)

Dave,

Would you want to see the plans? i can send them via email...

Sure, I'd like to see them. I saw the basic idea in post #507, but dimensions would be nice. I see you have at least a couple of scarf joints in there, otherwise the frame seems very straightforward. Scarfs aren't hard, but they can take some time to chop all the waste away. Cut scarfs first, and get them fitted the way you want, then cut the rest of the joinery in the plates. I'll pm my email.

Looks like a good cleaning and oiling and a couple of new handles and you are in business. I've got to get down to your area with a pocket full of cash.:/:

Probably a Snell Premium. The Premiums were adjustable for angle, although I don't think you would ever use it. My wooden machine is a Swan Premium. Almost identical, but there is a little dip in the top of the carriage. Cleaned up and working it's a good $250 machine.

Sweet. I'm going to clean this one up, keep it. I'll have a friend turn me new handles, some wire
Wheeling and oil. Refinish the wood and should be good to go! I like this as I can fold it for storage.

Busy flea market today Dave. $75 for this one. Looks to be original paint still. Real clean. Wrench and depth stop too. Tons of chisels there today. The guy I bought this from will be there in three in four weeks. Bringing a boss mortiser. 200$ asking.

That's a Swan, and a hell of a score! A good Boss for $200 is also a score. You keep this up and you're going to become a used tool dealer.:/:

Haha. I'm going to keep this one and sell the other one. This one is super nice. I'll prob pick up the boss too. Thinking tools sales on the side is a decent gig. Problem is I like what I buy.

Did you ever figure out that shed design, or are you waiting for me to do some calculations? I can't remember, it's been a bit :|: around here lately.

No worries. Just going to cut Jim's frame. I keep going back and forth but i have the design so why change it to something different.

Nice B. I need some more chisels, only have one right now. Actually started doing a small timber frame project last week, wife wants a sun shade/roof over the deck so figured Id do it post and beam. Man I wish I had more time as I enjoy doing it....

What size do you want? I can grab some for you if you'd like. Post pics of your stuff, gets me motivated.

Back