Timber Framing

Actually, that is very similar to what I was going to build for a friend of mine. We've since switched to a Dutch barn with three gable entry garage doors. Looks like you could have a full upstairs in there.:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He is drawing it out to have a low roof. I have to keep the roof line down.......:/:

I have plans fo an 8x12 shed too. Keep getting shit down with weather to get the mill here.

It's a real pleasure to look at such a nice work.
Amazing skill, I'm definitively a big fan.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6r-QHNmhl2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Done nothing here. Just been finishing up the house. Finally paint the bottom floor today. Have to hand brush trim still. The top I had my white pine logs milled, going up there as vertical ship lap. No timber framing on the horizon, first things first. I can't figure out how to rotate that on my iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 104
Finally, after three years, I am starting to put together the different assemblies of the barn I'm working on. Each of the repaired pieces, as well as any new parts, need to be scribed into assembly. Unlike square rule, where parts are cut to common dimensions, a new part in a scribe rule barn needs to be scribed into it's one location, and then numbered. It won't fit anywhere else. It's very hard to get these assemblies into one shot, I can't get far enough away. In this assembly, there is a purlin plate on the right that supports rafters mid-span, then there are five purlin posts with bracing. I first have to scribe in the posts and braces and make sure everything is the right dimension, then I have to scribe in new girts. Those are the two shorter pieces connecting the posts on the left. There will be two more of these, all in a row. I've got some more pics, but I've got to get them out of the camera. Those new girts are dryish white oak, and they have been busting up my tools.:X

20130621_130726.jpg

I have a hard time even fathoming the scope of a project like that. Let alone actually doing it. Super impressive.

Sounds like a job, wow.

Pretty awesome. Whats the the timeline on something like this? I mean, does the customer need this barn or is it a luxury?

I've been working on this barn since March 2010, off and on. There are two Dutch barns in there, both with complete floor systems. The first barn is 99% done, just a few details to be taken care of when the rest of the architectural work is done. The one I'm working on now will be done next month. It is on spec. It may get put up this fall, I hope. I will have about 1,800 hours in this one, and maybe $40k in specialty timbers and planking.

1:16 scale model of the barn I'm working on.
DSC_1177.jpg

The floor system that I cut for the barn. You can see that stacked up behind the assembly I have on the floor in the picture I posted a couple days ago.
DSC_1171.jpg

The models are sales tools. I can look at the drawings and know what every part is and what it is going to look like. People with no experience with barns and drawings usually can't visualize what the barn could be made into. With the model people say "How high is it to the loft?" and I say 8'10" and they say "Oh, so we can put the kitchen here and a bedroom over there!". I've made models of both barns, and one of a house frame I cut out last fall.

28'x28' Dutch house with attached woodshed. I don't have a pic with the rafters on the woodshed/utility room. Don't know why.

2012-11-30_14-12-59_46.jpg

I found one with the rafters on. I like to park my camera in the woodshed so I don't accidentally smash it with a mallet.

20130722_094122.jpg

Lots of architects use models these days, MB, as Dave says, it helps people to visualize. I think that there might even be a trade that makes models to someone's specs. I've done a few for furniture as well, generally not as complex as what Dave does. People are usually happy to get the models along with the real thing, comments like "cute". :roll: So far no complaints that the models look better than the actual thing. :lol:

Lots of architects use models these days, MB, as Dave says, it helps people to visualize. I think that there might even be a trade that makes models to someone's specs. I've done a few for furniture as well, generally not as complex as what Dave does. People are usually happy to get the models along with the real thing, comments like "cute". :roll: So far no complaints that the models look better than the actual thing. :lol:

i met a guy once who made a career out of model making. he said he had been commissioned at one time to make a scale model of an oil refinery... that was functional!

Back