Timber Framing

Now we consider timber frames beautiful, but it doesn't seem like aesthetics was so much of a thought with the folks that first devised the system. Structural honesty and the wood being available, was possibly the main inspiration by far, over looks. More refinement can be added to a typical timber frame if appearance is a big concern. More members and less diagonal bracing would be a way, I believe. As is often the case, when people making things don't have creating something beautiful in mind, is when it can be some of the greatest. Strange how that works, I think lack of self consciousness is what is working there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm thinking a 30x40 pole barn, with a large center door. That way I can sneak two trucks in, one with the chipper attached. I think one can be built for well under $10,000, judging by the prices of the kits I've found, and I can get a bunch of the lumber for siding, grits, etc. for nothing.

I can save the timber frame for a small garden shed.

Check with the local guys to you at the power company. I can sometimes get telephone poles for free and they even loaded them for me the last time I got some.

I think that creosote in wood, might make for some problematic material to work with. Possibly hard on tool edges. I have used some railroad ties, but only one mortise put in by machine, so the old creosote didn't tell me much, and I wore a mask.

I shiver when I hear of creosote poles. I gaffed out of one once, and slid to the ground bear hugging it. We used dikes to pull out the 1/2" diameter splinters in my biceps and stomach. The burning of the creosote under my skin made me scream in pain.....

I still have scars from that day.

First Samson post assembly finished yesterday. There will be four posts supporting the Samson beam, which in turn supports the center sills in the barn. Both the posts and the beam are 12"x12"

2012-05-10_14-48-14_58.jpg

Finished the Samson beams today. Did a trial fit of both beams. These two beams will support the five center sills over their forty foot span. Braces are 4"x6" and the rest is 12"x12". Posts are 8' tall, and will sit on top of marble plinths. The beams are 24' 2"long.

2012-06-06_15-54-35_292.jpg

How is the pole barn coming along, Brendon?

Very nice work, Dave. Keeping things square and in the same plane is not the easiest of tasks when cutting joints by hand....and those large parts.

Hey Dave,

Question for ya.

Grabbed this at the flea market this morning. I think I did good. Was thinking about flipping it, any idea on brand/value?

Attachments

• boring machine.jpg
    boring machine.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 30
The dip in the top of the carriage makes me think it's a Swan. I have a Swan premium, that can be adjusted for angle. What size is the bit? If it's a 1.5" or 2", they are worth 30$ to 45$ depending on condition, and the machine is probably $200-$250, if it's ready to go (with a little oiling). Why don't you keep it? It's better than a gas drill, and quieter too.:/:

I don't know. I really don't see me doing framing in the foreseeable future with all of my chores lately. This flea market turns up so much stuff I just thought of flipping it, and if I needed I can always grab another.

I paid $80. :)

Small bit, probably 1".

Yeah, you've been teasing me with this mystery flea market of yours. I think I need to visit with about a grand in cash.:/: You did good on that machine, as long as the teeth are good on the gears.

That's the first thing I looked at since the one I bought from Jim a while ago, and had to return, had some crappy gears and was super sloppy. This is one is nice, I think I might throw it on FF.

Your welcome anytime to come visit this flea market :) I saw some nice large slicks today too. That place rocks

Finished the last of the long timbers for the first barn yesterday. A pair of 7"x15" sleepers 38' 3 7/8" shoulder to shoulder. These timbers are not only mirror images joinery wise, but also the grain is bookmatched because I got both timbers out of one log.

2012-10-21_16-09-17_609.jpg

Holy mackrel not only is it great jointery but also great timber to work with .You just can't go down to the local lumber yard and find stuff like that .

Shaky, blurry vid of my shop. Was much clearer on the phone.The first floor system is done and stacked, and the second is queued up and ready at the end. I can't reach the middle of the 47' timbers with the LULL, so I have to put a couple of big blocks of wood on one end to counter balance them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GdGxKE-Rraw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey Dave!

Jim's working on a plan for something like this. Gotta get the bucket truck and chip truck under a roof. Probably four bents, with a stick roof.

Attachments

• farmington-timber-frame-garage-1.jpg
    farmington-timber-frame-garage-1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 37
Back