Timber Framing

The end sill in the addition basically supports the studs and the siding. There will be 3/4" crushed stone up to the bottom of the sills. I'm not sure exactly what you want to call the building. A garden shed mostly. There is a ton of storage, plus a possible root cellar underneath. You could live in it, however.

We finished the last three rafters this afternoon, as well as the upper gable studs in the addition. Ready for sheathing. I came up with a concept for the stairs to both lofts, just have to draw it out to get the final numbers.

Sounds like the covered bridge guy is serious, that should be interesting.

That would be a garden shed, buildt like a brick outhouse, then.

Lots of effort to put into a garden shed.

Did you notice the granite veneer on the foundation?

I just delivered the roof sheathing. It will take every piece of air dried pine I have.

We started sheathing the building today. Got about half of it done. Starting to get cozy, which is good because it's damn windy there.:lol:

2011-11-19_15-22-07_583.jpg

2011-11-19_16-16-56_436.jpg

We finished the roof sheathing and almost all of the siding. Decided yesterday to put a dormer where the big hole is.

2011-11-27_15-27-40_580.jpg

Brendon, I've got some ideas for your barn. I'll try to get them sketched soon.

Great thread!

I'm looking to build something like this:

trimmed%20booth_1.jpg

I'd like to go 16ft wide and about 30ft long.

Just a roof. Firewood shed also covering outdoor wood stove. With solar panels on top to back up the wood stove in case of power outage.

We got the dormer finished this weekend. There are a couple of boards left to do on the siding, but the roof is ready for shingles. It will get clapboards, but that may wait until spring.

2011-12-18_13-26-13_87.jpg

Nothing too exciting going on here, building another Dutch barn model. Getting ready to work on a small frame in my garage. I keep trying to sketch something up from Brendon but it always ends up about 30'x30. Or bigger.:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually I've been thinking about a frame, and wondering where you scurried off to. I really want more of my stuff under cover.

I need to put a fence up first, then I can stealth build a frame behind it.

Think Ashly would be mad if I built a TF before I got a kitchen sink. (At this very moment she is asking about a kitchen sink).

Oh, I check in every day, but posting from a phone is like trying to use a pencil with your toes. Sawing out another big floor system for the other barn.

Still thinking about your barn design Brendon. I'm also taking a design course at Heartwood in June. You might want to take a TF course there too.;) I'm thinking a wider barn with a narrow mini bay and a bigger truck bay is the way to go. You need a pretty high eave for a leanto.

Back