Timber Framing

Just thought I would stick this in the TF thread. I have heard some good things about this product, a one time applied exterior wood preservative that lasts a "lifetime". It penetrates and changes the chemical composition of wood so it doesn't rot. Powder form, you mix with water, and seems real easy to use. Non toxic. Anyone ever use it? It might be worth checking out.

http://www.valhalco.com/

Never heard of it nor anything before that can stain pressure treated wood and stay on for more than a couple years .Regular stain will not last that I can assure you .

It must be about time for that timber framing workshop. Before it gets so cold we all freeze to our tools?:/::lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sign me up. I've gotta get some lumber milled, then build something!

Nice score on FF, if you have to many boring machines let me know. :P

I've got a raising in Chatham NY on the fifth, which you are welcome to attend, and I'll be away the weekend of the twelfth. Other than that, any Sat or Sun is good with me. Do you have room in your garage?:/:

I bought that machine for a friend, he has another machine that may be available.I'll keep you in mind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the invite, I'll look up the distance. I have room in my garage, it's mostly empty actually. I'd really like to find a design for a structure that would fit my dump truck, and a small "shop" on the side. Like a one and a half garage. Something simple. Any ideas lemme know.

So you want one bay large enough for the truck, with a another bay to the side? Or, one bay with maybe a leanto on one side? How big a building (X'xY'), what size doorway, loft space above?

Dave, I think a 16'x22'-25' space would work. A door for my truck being 9'x10' on the end, and a people door on the side somewhere. I can always add a lean-to on the outside in the future for the chipper or something.

No loft.

If you have ideas lemme know.

That should be a fairly easy frame to design. Length doesn't really matter, you just keep adding bents, widths are another story. You can only go so far before you have to put a post, or a complicated truss. 16-18 feet is pretty easy, especially if you don't need any load bearing for a loft.

What type of siding, horizontal or vertical? That makes a difference, more studs for horizontal, or add girts for vertical. Heated?

Brendon, I will suggest a 12' high door so you have room for that bucket truck you're going to buy one day. And you'll need it closer to 35' deep (my truck is about 31' long).

Dave,

Vertical board and batton I would probably do. No heat. I just figure to have something to keep the weather off some of the tools. I'll be heating my garage/workshop, that should be plenty.

Brian, that would be nice, if adding height doesn't complicate it, a bigger door would be fine. Otherwise I still have the cover-it for a truck.

Made a good dent in the raising today. We'll finish tomorrow. I took a bunch of pics with my camera but it's not here. Only took this one with my phone.

2011-11-05_18-07-10_656.jpg

I was able to get a couple shots during daylight today. The main frame is the 14'x16' Hancock workshop frame from '09. The addition 12'x16'. We'll have the rest of the rafters on tomorrow.

2011-11-07_15-18-04_195.jpg

Back