throwlines--tied/ spliced eye versus slippery clove hitch/ other hitch

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
What do you all like?

I've been trying a tied eye. Kinda like it. I know it could snag when pulling through the canopy without a weight, whereas the straight line will not. Anybody actually snagged it with an eye?

Edit: For those that didn't read my mind, I did mean mostly for connecting throwline to throwbag :D .

Once you learn an anchor hitch, it is as fast as a girth hitched eye. It's like using one leg to tie a girth hitch. Comes untied just as fast.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/msfZ7Dn1Ht0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I use the anchor hitch but I like spliced eyes better. I had spliced eyes on our throwlines but they all ended up breaking off. I don't like any dyneema or spectra throwlines so we just use Slick Line (I think it's called) and those eyes tend to break fairly easily. I never had an eye snag in the tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I usually go with the slippery clove, myself. Easy for me, but an eye might be easier for newbies, and possibly with gloves.

I'll experiment with an anchor hitch.

I use a locked brummel eye on each end of each throwline ... never caught on anything. Used to use a slipped anchor before that.

Once you learn an anchor hitch, it is as fast as a girth hitched eye. It's like using one leg to tie a girth hitch. Comes untied just as fast.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/msfZ7Dn1Ht0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NO WAY! We're splitting hairs here, but the girth hitch is a lot smoother and faster to tie. I've used both for years and the splice is just faster.

Now untying is a different story. Whenever I do an anchor hitch, I tie it slippery so untying is just a quick pull and it's good to go.

I prefer the spliced because I bury the tails about 5' down so I have something beefier to hold on to when throwing!

love
nick

Pile hitch. Super fast to tie and untie and I have never had it fail.

pilehitch.jpg

Dave

Correct me if I'm wrong, Dave ... but, aren't we talking about connecting the throwline to the throw bag?

Although, I do use the pile-hitch to tie the throw line to the rope.

Well, I thought it was the throw bag ... but it's Sean's thread ... he's probably trying to type with a baby in his arms ... :lol:

Slippery Bowline, girth hitch to ring. This also makes it easy to girth it to your eye on climb line and pull through rings or whatever your pulling it through.

No hitches here, for the simple reason that I can't see to untie them anymore without using glasses.:cry:

I use a bowline, but I have had it hang ONCE as I pulled the line back out of a tree. The eye is only about 3" long, but it opened enough to hang on a small stub. I've thought about trying a spliced eye, just haven't done it yet.

I use a fig8 tied with a loop big enough to girth hitch to the bag, then girth hitch to the climb line or rig line with a few half hitches. Once it is back on to me just twist the throw line off of the climb line quick and dirty.

I use a horse knot. Quick release. CAn tie it and untie it in seconds. Tried the splice eyes but they seemed to work themselves into incredible knots

No hitches here, for the simple reason that I can't see to untie them anymore without using glasses.:cry:

SO that's how my boys must have learned not to tie anything on the bags :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i5LM8PCWg50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, Dave ... but, aren't we talking about connecting the throwline to the throw bag?...

Well, off in left field again, oops. :|: I don't like anything more on a throw line than absolutely necessary so just use a Clove hitch on the bag ring.

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that they all work pretty well. Mostly six of one, and killing a bush with two birds on the other stone.

I do like that eyes, as Rajan mentioned, can then be girth hitched onto the rope, followed by half hitches, after removing from the throwbag. A person can sometimes 'strip' this off the end of the rope, with all half-hitches and girth hitch just falling out, which is much harder with clove and half-hitches. Again, easier for the newb climber. Erik is getting more climbing time these days.

I think that they all work pretty well. Mostly six of one, and killing a bush with two birds on the other stone.

I do like that eyes, as Rajan mentioned, can then be girth hitched onto the rope, followed by half hitches, after removing from the throwbag. A person can sometimes 'strip' this off the end of the rope, with all half-hitches and girth hitch just falling out, which is much harder with clove and half-hitches. Again, easier for the newb climber. Erik is getting more climbing time these days.

Do you not use a spliced eye on your climb line ?

Back