Throwline in high voltage?

I only wore mine once in the 10 years I owned them. But always keep them in the kit just in case.
Close to $200 for then back then.

20160225_121433-1-1.jpg 20160225_121433-2.jpg

You're right Evan, they are secondary gloves. They would be better than nothing, but not rated for primary voltage. I have tagged out hot primary, (7200v here) bare handed from the ground with new 3 strand polyester rope without a tingle while on the line crew, but definitely would not recommend it. Clean Dyneema is basically non-conductive. Dirty and wet would be another story.

Ray, if you don't mind my asking a stupid question, what exactly do you mean by the phrase " I have tagged out hot primary, (7200v here) bare handed from the ground"?

Do you mean hanging some kind of warning sign off of it, or something else?

Thanks for a peek into the life of a lineman.

Tim

Thanks so much for this answer, treesmith. It is greatly appreciated. Scary stuff. I hope Asplundh gave you some super-insulated pole pruners to work with.

Tim

I just want to tell each of you guys how much I love you and how much I have appreciated your contributions to this forum - in case this is the last time we talk. :) This thread is open to the public and available to google searches too.

I don't think anyone would ever like to hear how their 'tough guy treeworker' story was the basis for someones fatal interaction with a live line.

Talk to your local power company about what lines are workable to interact with and how. (Essentially zero.)

(Not meaning to be rude to those posting colorful stories.)

I deleted that post Merle. I posted it merely to be explanatory, but I see how someone could stumble upon it and wind up in a sticky situation as a result.

Not stupid at all Tim and I should have been more clear. It's the same as putting a tag line on a piece of wood and pulling it away from an obstruction like a house or fence. The line was thrown over the conductor, I stood on the ground with both ends of the line and pulled it out from under a limb that it was in contact with. And you're not being rude either Merle. I also want to stress that non-line personnel should NEVER handle anything in contact with energized conductors. I've seen the results of grounded flesh coming in contact with primary voltage many times, (mostly squirrels, coons and bears, but also a few men) and it's pretty devastating.

Thanks for this answer, Ray. Much appreciated. I understand the idea of keeping one's hands off of stuff that one has not had the required training to safely deal with.

Just by way of reiterating what you said, for all of the non-linemen of the world reading this thread.

Thanks again.

Tim

Back