Thoughts on a husky 385

mrdiesel

TreeHouser
Hey all,

As above im wondering what the general thoughts are on this saw? Im not interested in comparisons to bigger or littler I'm more interested in what you guys think of the build quality, reliability etc

I have a second hander fixeruperer which I'm considering buying but i cant find much in the way of technical reviews on the www. There a a few loose references to bearings being weak

If i get this saw it won't be a work saw but i try to collect professional saws.

Thoughts?

I have had mine since 03' it's a good saw no issues she runs a 36" bar. It was my firewood saw for three seasons, about 20 cords per season, in big dead oak now I use it for stumping, felling, and bucking trees on the job.

I've heard of early 385's having crank bearing issues. Nothing that couldnt be fixed.

If you needed a new topend add 1mm bigger bore 390.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A slight change of plans, i now have a choice for a 385 or an early model 576. Im leaning towards the 576. Its $70 bucks more.

Early 576's had SOME bearing failures, it wasn't a regular thing and also had an oiling issue that would burn up the clutch side crank seal if I remember it all right. Most, if not all were dealt with under warranty. But from what I've heard, it's not any where near the power of the 385/390 series saws, if that's what you were after.

I'd take the 385 over the 575/576 any time! Even a used 385 against a new 575/576.
Much better saw and a hole lot more run time for the buck!!

Back