This is the Akimbo

Oooookayyy B, sounds like you've been away from tree stuff for too long ;)

Yo, Jaime! The Akimbo arrived this late morning, right on time. It is quite a frustration to me that I'll have to delay any serious trials until after we return from our trip, leaving 0darkthirty tomorrow, and still doing some packing :).

But it looks mighty fine, and I'll be right on it in a couple of weeks. Thanks very much, and sorry it will take me that long to do it justice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
excellent! Bob should be getting his this afternoon as well, so you're not our sole tester. have fun on your trip!

Recommendations on rope combo's that DO and DON'T work, Jaime?

It might be good for testers to report rope compatibility, and tester weight. It might require a separate, dedicated thread, without derails (ya right).

smallest rope i have is 11mm safari and it seems to work well with the akimbo. by far the most testing has been with the poison ivy family of ropes. condition of the rope is a big factor. older, well broken rope runs excellent on a much looser setting than the same rope new. i have a piece of escalator that i will try as well, but haven't got to it yet. im uploading a little intro vid as i type, says 440 minutes till its up:|:

video
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_mZ1RpXmozg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good show via video...the Akimbo looks very promising. Very smooth, even elegant. I am looking forward to reports of the testers.

Yes, that looks so very amazing Jamie. I wouldn't even be sweating the spring deal so much since it looks like it would work really well the way that it is, but of course, you want it perfect.

I'm just really amazed.

How about a nice soft Velcro attachable cover to save arms, teeth n stuff from damage?

I like the idea of a vertically slit ball you can slide your hand into easily.

Nice design Jaime, very well done.

Jomo

Dang Jamie, that is slick, I see many hours to get to this point! Please add me to the line of try it out folks.

This device is impressive on many levels. One, to me, is how refined it looks, and it is carved out by HAND! The PNW TCC champ is coming over this weekend to test it out. PM me if you are in the Portland area and want to take a look.

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5015.jpg

Jaime,

I feel sure you have probably read the "history" of the word akimbo.

I googled it...some very interesting historical references to "akimbo." For those like me that already knew the word but not where it came from.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akimbo

i did look it up, and i agree, cool word. took a while to come up with a name, but i thought it fit well with how it looks when opened.

Bob, thanks for putting it on a scale for me! i dont have one and ive been curious as to exactly how much the thing weighs. a production model will weigh slightly less as some milling down of the side plates can be done without compromising strength.

I thought this part was pretty appropo:

"a curved stick or staff" (from Medieval Latin cambuca) or to a cam bow, "in a crooked bow".

You have curves in your Akimbo and it uses a cam effect...I think you have chosen an Awesome name.

Back