The time has come..

Melatonin and GABA helped me to get sleepy and get off to bed early. Just a little to start. Too much can leave you sleepy in the morning. Might try it on a weekend. Getting to be early is a challenge sometime when others are up and going.

4am isn't so bad, sometimes I start even earlier in the summer. That's business work though, no torches. :)

I am glad to hear you are off to a good start down there B Diggedy!

Haha, this time of year I use the heck out of headlights! 2 nights ago I had my dark cutting torch glasses on and a headlight cutting steel in the dark!

I get up @ 5-30 early enough for me. Out of the house between 6.15 - 7.00 depending on who I am working for. Early enough in my books, but if someone is paying I'll be there @ 1am if I have too

I'll start at dawn in the summer, if it is hot.
Nothing beats having a morning cup of tea in the woods, while waiting for it to be light enough to start logging, early enough that the birds haven't started singing yet.
Around here, that is around 3.30 AM:)
This time of the year, it is a different story.
This morning I couldn't find the firs I was supposed to fell, untill around 9 o'clock.

That is my version of the muslim black/white wool thread thing.
It is morning when you can see the spray paint markings on the trees.

Yep, I'm like Stig. Tree planting work in the early spring, north of the 45th parallel, I'd hear my alarm at 2:45 am, finish loading seedlings at 4:00 am, meet the crew on the day's unit at 5:00 am, when light enough to work was a leisurely cup of coffee from my thermos away. March to May, every year for 25 years.

Now in mid-December, it's near 8:00 am before it's that light...and the leisurely cup of coffee still calls :).

I love being retired, I surely do :D.

4 AM is loggers hours. It seems that when logging, bed time follows dinner and wake up time is always brutal. I was doing a clear cut chipping job on state land one winter that forced me to be making coffee at 3:30 AM so that we could be fueled up and have the machinery up to operating temps by 7 on the dot. That sucked. I had no life during that stretch. Leave in the dark, return in the dark, talk to my wife and kids at the dinner table and then hurry to the shower to get in bed. That schedule bothered my wife a lot I think. She felt lonely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So far im loving this job(even tho most of my coworkers dont speak english lol). Spent today mostly climbing, doing some reductions/raising the canopy on some trees(commercial job). Got alot of experience moving around trees and strategising where to make cuts. Lots of exercise but i was havin a ball. ill post some pics in a bit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMG_20141217_114352_368.jpg

IMG_20141217_094311_925.jpg

IMG_20141217_094246_401.jpg

they were quite over grown, had to take off more than is probably good for the trees(the whole tree health/clients wishes ratio, then again im the new guy..) to get them off of the wall and out of the way of the sidewalk. the first one had MEAN thorns. My arms are totally scratched to hell...(next time ill take some before pics)

4 AM is loggers hours. It seems that when logging, bed time follows dinner and wake up time is always brutal. I was doing a clear cut chipping job on state land one winter that forced me to be making coffee at 3:30 AM so that we could be fueled up and have the machinery up to operating temps by 7 on the dot. That sucked. I had no life during that stretch. Leave in the dark, return in the dark, talk to my wife and kids at the dinner table and then hurry to the shower to get in bed. That schedule bothered my wife a lot I think. She felt lonely.

Woods work has always been hard on family life, true that. I was fortunate to only have that sort of schedule for 3 months or so each spring, doing refor planting.

The more regular schedule, alarm at 5am, at work by 630am...we shared that all those years of both doing grunt field work, so it was a moot point for us, lucky man that I am.

Back