The official "Welcome New Members" thread!

Thanks all for the welcome. I mainly do just medium level firewood sales, easy removals or cleanups, some clearing and fence row type work for farmers. I'm mostly just interested in learning safe felling and bucking techniques, getting a better grasp on knowing what not to mess with. I'm in the mountains here and I frequently have to work on slopes and with leaners, blowdowns, deal with potential barber chair trees, heavy end pressures, so seeing the pros handle these situations helps keep me out of trouble on the ones I do attempt and better define my limitations. I have zero climbing, rigging, etc. experience, so I stay away from arborist type jobs completely, but watching people that do helps me better understand why to leave it be. So, not a pro, not looking to become one, just looking to be safer and better on the small jobs that I do.

p.s. Since I'm not a pro, my bar funds will be limited....:D

You've come to the right place, brother. Just check out some of the threads, we've a bunch of em. Enjoy!

Its refreshing to see a non-pro who knows what they know and what they don't know. You also seem to have respect for what you don't know and that's a good step towards keeping you safe. Nice to read ya and I hope you sick around. I'm Eric by the way.

Knowing your true experience level and being wise enough to seek knowledge and experience is a sign of a true pro. Many so called pros in this field lack that.

Welcome. I'm Chris. I come off abrasive sometimes but just know its not intentional, its the downside of me communicating with a keyboard! Plus, abrasion is the base of all polishing.

I'm mostly just interested in learning safe felling and bucking techniques,

Welcome, I'm Jay.

If you don't have it, you would do very well to purchase the series three, 'Working Climber', parts one and two, by G.f. Beranek. It is a series of six videos put together by a member here. No doubt an extremely well documented resource for the information that you are interested in. Very highly praised! We probably don't have much to add. :lol:

Burnham and Stig will definitely add something anyway, Jay. :lol:

Ditto above, lots of good info here in between the jokes and good natured ribbing. Definitely check out the 'official work pictures' thread as well as the felling and rigging forum. A lot of these guys really know their stuff. :thumbup:

Welcome, I'm Jay.

If you don't have it, you would do very well to purchase the series three, 'Working Climber', parts one and two, by G.f. Beranek. It is a series of six videos put together by a member here. No doubt an extremely well documented resource for the information that you are interested in. Very highly praised! We probably don't have much to add. :lol:

Thanks, I didn't know that series was out there. I had looked at descriptions of the first two series before ( from Bailey's ) and they were obviously aimed at climbing and pro arborists. ( I had to specifically search for series three to find it ). Looks like exactly the things I'm looking to learn and I tend to pick up more when I get some video to look at to go along with diagrams ( and it's sometimes hard for a layman to weed out online vids that are junk, like all topics on the internet ). I have read a few documents so far, first one some years ago was the New Zealand OSHS guide aimed at land/home owners, a few others that I can't recall the names. The latest thing I've been reading is the BC Faller Training Standard, of course some of that is a bit advanced for me.

So, that series looks good and I'll definitely order it. That will obviously reduce my limited bar money even more for you guys, but dead men can't pay bar tabs so I know it's an investment for you....

Long time lurked, and figured I might as well join up. I've been a contract climber for a bit more than ten years. Can't imagine ever climbing some of them biggies you west coast fellers got, though!

Josh

Howdy y'all! New guy to the tree house, but not new to the forums.

I see a lot of familiar faces, and some new ones. :)

Glad to see you on here pard:) As for myself, I should have gotten on this thread in the beginning, and introduced proper. As some of you already know my name is Cody, I joined about a week ago...have been recovering from sinus surgery for the last week and sittin around sucks, so I have been posting a lot because I am bored. I apologize for my behavior in the felling videos thread...no excuse for that rude behavior, even if I was drinkin whiskey :) Anyhow, I went back and edited some of my posts to keep them respectful, and hopefully not seem like such a cull :) I hope Stig comes back, and I will send him a personal message to do so. You folks won't have to deal with me too much here shortly as I will be busy workin again...anyhow, thanks for puttin up with me!

Welcome to you, Mr. Metals...same for Tarzan.

And, T...glad to see you here...enjoying your posts already. Jump in whenever you're able...whisky or not.:D

Peace has been restored to the House.
Cody and I have if not exactly kissed and made up ( I don't like to kiss those big, hairy timberfallers:lol:) agreed to start over and try to be nice to each other:)

Back