The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

Have you ever seen the sugar cane fields of FL, a massive table-flat landscape as far as the eye can see of sugar cane. You have to see it to believe it to appreciate the immense size. Industrial scale production of sugar cane is the major driver of water pollution in South FL. But of course the major $ that the sugar barons possess gives them huge political power. So, there are issues with sugar in FL. Btw FL is #1 in US sugar production and the harvesting process is fully automated using heavy farm equipment and tractor trailers etc.

Since I found all of the above info very interesting in conjunction with seeing the fields with my own eyes, this free article re sugar production in India was radical.

I read about that on another site. That was a close call for sure.

edit:
This is the article. It's a little more technical than the NYT article, but still readable if anyone wants more details...

edit2:
BTW, arstechnica is the main site I read for science and tech news. Their comment section is well worth reading for articles that catch your interest. They have a highly educated readership, and the comments many times add content and context to main article. It's not your typical youtube comment section.

Last edited:
Good link, thx.

The warp speed which puter articles and concepts leave me in the dark is astonishing. Lots of things are complicated but puter shit such as that noted in these articles is so freaking abstruse, esoteric, impenetrable, etc etc, makes me wonder if a totally different breed of humans is behind it.

You mean like little chubby guys, living in cellars on a diet of pizza and coca cola.

Good link, thx.

The warp speed which puter articles and concepts leave me in the dark is astonishing. Lots of things are complicated but puter shit such as that noted in these articles is so freaking abstruse, esoteric, impenetrable, etc etc, makes me wonder if a totally different breed of humans is
I think it's mainly the computer lingo that makes it unnecessarily hard to understand.

The lingo is otherworldly but the goods behind the lingo is even more so

I always thought a cool gig would be a field to finish sheep farm. Get a nice spot in the mountains, raise sheep, and turn them into wool products, all on the same property. Might not get you rich, but I think it could be a good living, and you get to be in the mountains.

It's gotta be in the mountains. It's also gotta be field to finish, cause that's a story you can sell. Even better if you use old tech like water to power equipment. I'd get Kaveman to write my sales copy. Include a clump of raw wool with every item sold. Land's cheap in the mountains, cause there's nothing to do there. Everything's hard won. However, sheep love the mountains, and the harsher weather improves their coats. Best thing is you get to wakeup every day and see mountains.

Crazy the 'bad' food those sheep live on in the article

It's gotta be in the mountains. It's also gotta be field to finish, cause that's a story you can sell. Even better if you use old tech like water to power equipment. I'd get Kaveman to write my sales copy. Include a clump of raw wool with every item sold. Land's cheap in the mountains, cause there's nothing to do there. Everything's hard won. However, sheep love the mountains, and the harsher weather improves their coats. Best thing is you get to wakeup every day and see mountains.
Luv it!

"Sustainability sourced sheep based products to fit your lifestyle, while feeling good, not guilty. Our wool is sourced from happy sheep, high in the mountains, where they are shepherded the traditional way, on foot, with dogs. Our mill and processing equipment is powered by a highly efficient, zero carbon water wheel system. When water is hard to come by, we use steam power, generated by waste biomass, provided by local tree-care companies."

How's my audition pitch?

Back whem I turned wood for money, I sold baby rattles (I've made about a thousand of those) through an organic, ultra woke baby shop in Copenhagen.
I happened to mention that they were made from salvaged blowdown from the -99 storm, so the trees hadn't been felled by man.
They went totally overboard with that in their advertisement.

Last edited:
"Sustainability sourced sheep based products to fit your lifestyle, while feeling good, not guilty. Our wool is sourced from happy sheep, high in the mountains, where they are shepherded the traditional way, on foot, with dogs. Our mill and processing equipment is powered by a highly efficient, zero carbon water wheel system. When water is hard to come by, we use steam power, generated by waste biomass, provided by local tree-care companies."

How's my audition pitch?
Probably a better story if the biomass comes from forest debris to minimize forest fires.

Back