The Official New Boots Thread

WOW! Can you spell excited! Tomorrows the first day, got my insoles in them and they just need the laces back in!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Lm8JaIrbA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Used Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP They deserved it and look great!

I use hot air gun/blow dryer and melt it 1st and then paint brush on to warmed up boots.
The leather just sucks it up.

We have alot of road salts so I also dilute some black silcon caulking with bit of liquid boot silicon and tooth brush it into all the seams.
Usually get through most of the winter wtih a few touch ups.
I m such a pussy when it comes to cold wet feet.
And Ontarios winters a primarily that. Cold and wet.
For you Heads out there!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmoPBe_frvM

Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (LP) is the most durable protection available. Originally developed for the severe conditions endured by wildland firefighters, LP protects, preserves, and restores boots, saddles, motorcycle leathers, tool pouches, gloves, baseball mitts, and more. It is especially useful for any leather that gets worked hard and is regularly exposed to harsh environments.

Three natural oils are suspended in Beeswax and Propolis. In the leather these oils gradually seep out of the Beeswax/Propolis suspension formula. If exposed to heat or flexing the oils are released faster so leather gets oiled instead of parched and cracked. This Beeswax/Propolis* Suspension Formula provides a time release lubrication to inner fibers while the surface is reinforced against scuffing, and the leather still breathes. The result is Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP:

Repels water better and longer.
Repels acids, petroleum, salt, and chemicals.
Restores dried leather to a soft and supple condition and protects it from further damage.
Prevents dry rot and resists mildew.
Resists premature cracking in flex areas.
Is odorless after applied (very important for hunters)
Restores sun-faded leather.
Resists scuffing and dry rot.
Applies easily with with a clean cloth.
Penetrates deeply into leather.
Can be buffed to shine or polished over.
Contains no harmful silicones, petroleums, solvents, or neatsfoot.

from https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=30

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8

Anyone have any whites pacboots? I might buy some. Im headed back to logging for the winter and need new tires.

Bringing back an old thread but I need some new boots. I can't decide between wesco's or whites. I can't try them on anywhere so I'm going off your guys experience. My only requirement is that I want steel toes.

Cost is not as important as comfort. I spend the majority of my time on spikes but I do a decent amount of pruning as well. I wish I could try some on before I buy.

Those look sweet... have you read through this entire thread?

Yup I read through everything but everyone has their own opinions on what's best. I could prob buy a pair of asolos now and take care of my boots for a couple more months and buy a nice pair for spur work in a couple months. It's just so tough buying boots online and not being able to try anything on. I have only ever used steel toe boots (even for pruning) so I'm sure the asolos would be 10x better. And I do get tired of wearing my big steel toe boots every day

Unless you have unusual feet, I'd skip the custom option. Like Nick said, they "are the best boots I have ever put on."

I got a pair of those (from Sierra Trdg Post, too) a few years ago and they didn't last for me.
Followed those with a pair made by Garmont, and they put up with a lot of abuse, but couldn't find them again after they started to get soft (still have them for backup).
Boots are such a subjective purchase, what works for one person is a nightmare for the next...
My current pair are Kayland, and a lot happier with them, but caveat: I have narrow feet, so it might be a fit thing with me:
Search Sierra for: Kayland Vertigo Light eVent® Hiking Boots - Waterproof (For Men)

Well maybe I should buy a pair of asolos for now and then a nice pair of wesco's come springtime. Any thoughts on these? By the way thanks for the info boss!

http://sierratradingpost.com/mobile...s-boots~d~137/asolo~b~1120/&s=72552-72-10.5-W

Believe me, he doesn't. They don't have the traction necessary.

I wouldnt say I hate them for pruning, but there are better options. I am not the change my boots during the day type so when I have the WesCos on I make it work. Mine arent totally waterproof anymore so I wear them any dry day or when I know we have removals.

For ground work they cant be beat. You can get a couple of different sole options. WesCo has the 'custom' option where you can build the boot with tons of options, and then they also have the 'custom fit' option. It might be worth checking into the custom build without the custom fit, you can add things like linings, double shanks, nickel hardware etc...

Back