The Official Critter Thread

Probably intended to run down the badger's hole and chase him out the back door where he can be shot or trapped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a friggin bird try to steal a fancy pork crackling samich out of my hand yesterday. The damn thing swooped down and had its claws and beak in it for a tiny fraction of a second then made off. It was a magpie which are related or part of the same family as crows-they usually swoop at this time of year to defend their territory and nests.

magpie.jpg

I regularly shoot at them around here. They drive me nuts. I had a wounded one that hung around my sawdust pile earlier this year. I did feel kind of guilty when I saw it. I was always like, "I'm going to grab a gun and finish that poor sucker". But never did, I tell myself he healed and flew away. Makes me feel better then, one of the cats finishing him.

Just reading this thread for the first time. Enough talk about Prairie Dogs that you might be interested in this. I read a book by Temple Grandon (Animals in Translation) about animal behavior and why she is so adept at knowing what will spook cattle in a kill plant for instance as they go through the chutes. In that book she sited other examples of the basic intelligence of animals etc. She told of one researcher that studied Prairie Dogs and their 'language'. They had a different vocalization for man than man with a gun. And different expression for Coyote that is at a distance and no threat than one that is close and an active threat.

Their language is far more extensive than those two examples and if he would go a certain distance away he had to start all over again, they had a different language.

Temple's name keeps coming up to me, I gotta read up on her. Thank you for the heads up.

They did a movie, Temple Grandin, which showed a bit of her experience in life and her path too. Great movie for the whole family.

When I googled it I see it's free to watch.

I'm down to watch, it looks good. Do you have a link for the freebie version, I couldnt find it for less than a sawbuck

Make me wanna be a spider.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e5MAg_yWsq8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spiders are freaking awesome. I love how often they are found, and spared, during tree work.

Back